Best Snack Stix I Ever Had (W/ Pics & Experiment Notes)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As I was about to start making sausage a couple months ago, I considered all of the different things I wanted to make. Snack Stix was at the top of the list. I've always loved them but have stayed away the past several years after finding out all the nasty stuff that goes into them. First two batches were somebody else's recipe. Batch one was done in "edible" mahogany collagen casings. I guess the word "edible" is a relative term. Perhaps if you have a set of chompers reminiscent to those of a Great White Shark you could eat these things. Mere mortals didn't stand a chance. Everybody just squeezed the filling out like a Pixie Stick. Second batch was done in natural hog casings, same recipe but upped the spices a bit because the first batch was lacking in flavor. Second batch was edible but still lacking in flavor, texture, and the deep mahogany color I wanted. Undaunted and unwilling to settle for a less-than-expected product, I tried again. This time I bought the meat, cut it up, put in the freezer to chill, and literally stood at the kitchen island and wrote down this recipe (listed below). Made the sticks and hung in the fridge for a couple of days then smoked. BINGO!! These were a LOT closer to what I was looking for. I call them "Combo Snack Stix" because it's a combination of beef and pork whereas most snack sticks are all beef. Here is the recipe with pics to follow:

2 ¼ lb. lean beef
¾ lb. fatty pork (12 oz. pack cheap fatty bacon)
2 packets American Harvest original jerky seasoning
1 packet American Harvest curing salt
2 T NFDM
1 T Garlic powder
1 T Crushed red pepper
½ T Black pepper
1 t Mustard seed
1 t Onion powder
1 t Cayenne pepper
1 t Liquid hickory smoke
¾ t Cure #1
½ t My hot pepper spice
¼ cup ice water

This is about a perfect combination of flavors. I have now made three batches of these and just finished the third batch yesterday. No pics of the first batch but here is a summary of the second batch, with experiment notes to follow.

Stuffed into hog casings. I do these in 17" links. This allows me to snip the ends and get 3) 5 1/2" sticks out of each kink which fit perfectly into a snack sized Zip Lock baggie
IMG_20180206_114355.jpg

Smoked and drying after the ice bath
IMG_20180207_123718.jpg

Cut into lengths to fit into the baggies
IMG_20180207_124527.jpg

First batch of these were started in the smoker at 130*, gradually increasing temp to 170*, and pulled at an IT of 153*. The second batch (pictured above) was done in the same manner but at the end the smoker jumped to 175* and the sticks had an IT of 156* when pulled. Oddly enough this little accident had great results. This batch came out a bit darker and had a texture that was a little firmer, both of which were appealing. Decided to do a little experiment on the third batch which was smoked yesterday. Started the same with the smoker but when the IT of the sticks hit 150* I ran the smoker temp up to 210* then pulled the sticks at an IT of 160*. The results were pretty amazing IMHO. The sticks had an even firmer texture and a deeper mahogany color. The key is to watch the IT very closely so as not to have a fat-out if the temp gets too high. This is finally the level of perfection I've been wanting to achieve. These are simply amazing!! Far and again the best snack sticks I've ever had. Deep rich flavor, perfect snap to the casings, and a nice little spice tingle at the end.

Stick on left was batch 2. Stick on right was batch 3 done yesterday. You can see the color difference
IMG_20180224_081228.jpg

I've been making beef jerky for many years and had just ordered enough of the spice kits for 25# of jerky so I had the seasonings on hand. Understanding that folks may be reluctant to buy a bunch of spices for something that is unknown to them, I'm going to make an offer. The first two people who send me a PM with their name and address, I'll send them enough of the jerky seasoning and curing salt to make a batch. The only caveat I'd ask is that once you make the sticks, please post your results to the group to help others possibly decide to buy the spices in quantity. I assure you, it's worth it :-) On a different note, I grow and dry all of my own hot peppers. There is a jar of spice in the pantry that's been in the making for well over 10 years. Every year, whatever the garden yields, I dry the peppers, grind them, and add them to the jar. It changes every year and never ceases to amaze me the depth of flavor...and the heat, that this stuff can conjure up. There is a mixture of probably 20 or more different types of hot peppers in this mix. Soooo....in addition to the jerky seasoning I offered to send to the first two people, I'll also include a couple tablespoons of this pepper spice mix.

Spicin' it up in Lago,
Robert

I would like to have some of the seasonings you mentioned. I started a conversation. Hopefully I'm not too late! I forgot to mention. Those snack sticks look awesome!

Last edited:
And whats wrong with pig lips, butt, and other nasty things. Thats their flavorings. LOL.
Great looking snack stixs you are doing. Now package up and I'll take 5lbs.

They look great - Once you find the reciepe you like, you can wait to do it again! I've been doing stick for a couple of years now and it took some trial and error to find the right combination. I just dropped about 5 lbs of beef snack stick off for my son and his roommates at college. I'm sure they won't make it through the week.

I'm a fairly easy goin, easy to please guy. (Well, some disagree... just do it my way. :rolleyes:;))
I like jerky, generally harder than some do. I like smoked Salmon. I like Ribs two ways, gnawin and/or fall off the bone.
And I like Snack Sticks/Slim Jims sort of treats.
I think the next big thing for me, is to progress into snack stix.
Yours look absolutely mouthwatering, tx smoker! :D

Great lookin sticks! I second what Dave Omak had to say. I bought my collagen casing from Butcher & Packer. Perfect texture.

On the pepper front, I have a number of different bags of dried chiles in the pantry. I pull them out and grind as needed. For stix, I add one or two smoked green jalapeños.

Last edited:
Nice looking sticks, can I ask what size hog casings you used? They look real small in the pictures.

First the sticks look amazing. Point and booked marked for reference.

Too bad I was preoccupied with making my smoked apple dumplings yesterday or I would have been all over your offer. I have a LEMs Jerky Gun on its way to me now, we travel fulltime in an RV, and will be in travel mode most of April and the plan is to have plenty of our own snack sticks and jerky made up and not spend $15 on chemically loaded junk at the truckstops.

Couple of questions:
NFDM = Non Fat Dried Milk ?
You have both curing salt and cure #1, is the curing salt mainly for "flavor" or ?

"Nice looking sticks, can I ask what size hog casings you used? They look real small in the pictures."

They are 18-20 mm purchased pre-tubed from Syracuse Casing Company. I bought them for breakfast sausage but have found several other uses for them.

"Couple of questions:
NFDM = Non Fat Dried Milk ?
You have both curing salt and cure #1, is the curing salt mainly for "flavor" or ?"

You are correct on both counts.
-NFDM = Non Fat Dry Milk
-Yes, the curing salt is for flavor only. The seasoning kits come with one pack each of spice and curing salt, enough for 1 pound of meat. The sticks need some salt so I just use one of those. Each time I make sticks I have to throw away one pack of salt because as stated, they come in a set. I use 2 packs of seasoning and only 1 pack of salt. No sense throwing away 2 packs of salt and using Morton's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky