Best Pellet Mix for Turkey Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dzydvl

Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
I'm new to the world of pellet smoking, I've been dabbling with various meat types, and so far things have turned out pretty good. I'm going to try a turkey this year, and from what I'm reading Cherry, Apple, and Hickory seem to be the consensus. What's the best ratio? Or if you have other ideas hit me with them. I'm open for any and all ideas.

I have a turkey breast I plan on smoking Saturday, I have some hickory made by Kingsford

Lets give this a bump!
Whats your preference when it comes to pellet mix, im not one to really know the difference in pellet flavor...
Im not wanting to do anything exotic like pecan which some folks will recommend....
Not knocking it but wont use it much for other smokes.

I have lumberjack competition "maple,hickory,apple" mix
or go strong
with GMG texas mix w/ Black Oak, American Hickory, and a hint of Texas Mesquite....

Last edited:
I'm new to the world of pellet smoking, I've been dabbling with various meat types, and so far things have turned out pretty good. I'm going to try a turkey this year, and from what I'm reading Cherry, Apple, and Hickory seem to be the consensus. What's the best ratio? Or if you have other ideas hit me with them. I'm open for any and all ideas.

Hi there and welcome!

U wont go wrong with about 65% Hickory then even amounts of Maple and Cherry for a MCH blend.

U can sub the Apple for the Maple if u like, the key is 65% hickory and then the other supplement things and Cherry gives it great color :)

Most of the Mixed Pellets available, Hickory, Cherry, Maple and/or Apple, are Equal Parts blended. I've gotten great results with Pitmaster's Choice from A-MAZE-N Products and Perfect Blend from CookinPellets. Hickory can be strong on Poultry so the Maple and Apple buffer the pungency. Cherry has a mellow flavor but is most often add for a beautiful Mahogany Color...JJ

Sorry for not getting back sooner, been busy with wedding planning. So I ended up mixing Cherry Rum, Apple, and Hickory. My family said it was hands down the best Turkey they ever had, It was SO juicy. I did brine it, I made sure to reduce the salt in the brine due to the turkey havening been injected.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, been busy with wedding planning. So I ended up mixing Cherry Rum, Apple, and Hickory. My family said it was hands down the best Turkey they ever had, It was SO juicy. I did brine it, I made sure to reduce the salt in the brine due to the turkey havening been injected.

Congrats on the success!!!!
Yeah if you did an even amount of each you would have gotten a good smoke flavor I'm sure of it.
Also brining is the bees knees. In my world brining makes or breaks whole birds, poultry breast, and roasted/smoked pork loin :)

Just wait until you add some cure #1 to your brine on a turkey some day. Your mind will be blown!! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky