Best paint for stick burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have a local guy doing some work on my Lang 84D. He’s doing a little metal fab work to repair some missing metal on the diverter plat on the firebox end. About a 1/4 -1/2” gap. Pretty common for an older unit. Inside will be steam cleaned and racks as well. Outside is being completely blasted including the trailer and then repainted. I am really struggling with setting on on the paint to be used. He was recommending POR15 high temp heat resistant paint. On that someone said the following “You should read up on POR 15 first. It is designed as an engine paint. It may be fine but it is a urethane and can’t be painted over. It is reported to have a different expansion coefficient than steel which can lead to cracking when hot and leaving voids under the paint to rust. Because the firebox gets so hot, the paint may still burn causing it to crack. Then you may have limited options to maintain it.” I need to settle in on a good paint as he will be to that stage soon. I’m also debating flat vs semi gloss despite the fact Lang stock paint is flat. Seems to me semi gloss may be easier to clean. Lastly I’d like to do the trailer and cooker with same paint if possible. Any thoughts?

Can you contact some of the custom builders and ask them what paint they use or recommend? They have been painting them a while and probably know whats good and whats bad.

Reactions: jcam222
I went over the firebox of my SQ36 a couple of times with the high heat Rust-o-leum flat black, got it at HD. You'll wind up doing at least the firebox every year for maintenance Jeff. The stuff did a nice job with minimal prep, spray paint, DIY. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Good info so far. FIL was painting contractor and picked up lots from him but that main thing is quite simple, no paint is perfect. Choice is all a matter of tradeoffs. Durability, color, cost, ease of application, etc. Great idea for the prep. POS stuff looks good but pricey. Curious what Lang uses.

Jeff, so a search on Carboline products. They make a bunch of specialty coatings for these types of applications. I'v heard their products are all top notch. Have not used any but read that here from another forum member. I did read up on some of their stuff they had listed on their web page and it sounded like they have about everything under the sun available.

Robert

This is what Lang uses. They gave me a can when my smoker was delivered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-165822_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-165822_Photos.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 62
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky