Best over the counter pink curing salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

planetdan

Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Colorado Springs
Hi guys, if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this, just let me know. 

I am looking for a really good over the counter pink curing salt. I am a retailer and get asked for it many times and currently don't carry it. 

I am looking for ideas on a particular brand. What Amazon sells doesn't help me. I need to know who makes it so I can contact them directly to order it. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Dan

Brand shouldn't mater.   It's like asking the brand of 24 carat gold.   There is a standard amount of Sodium nitrite mixed with a standard amount of salt and dye.

If you are looking for cure mixes brand makes a big difference

Neither really. I don't want to buy in bulk and I don't want to private label. I just want to get a decent retail curing salt to sell in my store.

I own a retail store. I am looking for specific brands to check into reselling in my store. I do not buy it retail. I pay wholesale since I am a reseller. But not being one to use curing salt myself, I had no idea what over the counter brand is the best. 

I use Butchers & Packers, because most of the butcher suppliers are less expensive that any of the spice companies. And unless I am mistaken they are all regulated so all cure #1 domestic has to meet certain guidelines.

And buy plenty it grows on you. On, yeah, one pound? I need micro ounces....... LOL

I frist bought a pound, I have since bought 5 pounds. You just got to experiment with it on everything. Wait till you try cure plus maple syrup on chicken thighs........OMG!

I own a retail store. I am looking for specific brands to check into reselling in my store. I do not buy it retail. I pay wholesale since I am a reseller. But not being one to use curing salt myself, I had no idea what over the counter brand is the best. 
I've been using cure #1 (and #2) for years and have never seen a specific "Brand" name, and frankly, I doubt that one exists. I get my supplies from Butcher & Packer, but there are many other sources out there. Regardless of who sells it, it's all the same stuff, and I doubt that any of the common sources make their own mix. What you need to do is find a producer and/or wholesale distributor, buy it in bulk, and repackage and resell in smaller quantities as they do.

I've been using cure #1 (and #2) for years and have never seen a specific "Brand" name, and frankly, I doubt that one exists. I get my supplies from Butcher & Packer, but there are many other sources out there. Regardless of who sells it, it's all the same stuff, and I doubt that any of the common sources make their own mix. What you need to do is find a producer and/or wholesale distributor, buy it in bulk, and repackage and resell in smaller quantities as they do.
Agreed.

I had a bratwurst session planned so I could give them out at Christmas, and someone either threw away or I hid it VERY GOOD so no one accidentally used it for some reason. I found a jar (3.6 oz.) at Williams Sonoma for the same as a pound from Sausage maker

Dan, thanks for the info. I have reached out to those companies for wholesale pricing. Hopefully I can bring some of what they have in my store. :) 

Cool!

If you're dealing with first time curers you might want to look into Martins suggestions. Smaller packages might a better seller, as an ounce will cure 25 lb's. Good luck.

LEM and A.C. Legg have 4 oz. packs available.
Con Yeager Spice has 1 and 2 oz packs available.

If you're in Canada you can contact

http://www.bsa.ca/en/produits/epices-et-herbes

I get 1kg bags of cure #1 or #2 for $6 each

One important thing to note though is that we don't colour our curing salts.

Zalbar, afternoon..... It's important to note.... Canadian cures may have a different percent of nitrate and/or nitrate from the US stuff and calculations must be made when changing cures....

Dave

Zalbar, afternoon..... It's important to note.... Canadian cures may have a different percent of nitrate and/or nitrate from the US stuff and calculations must be made when changing cures....

Dave
It's 6.25% nitrite or nitrate depending on which you get. Standard cure percentages.

Well, I was in a discussion with a meat producer a couple days ago from Canada and he told me his cure was 5% nitrite......... There is not a standard cure percentage.... I get cure mixed with sugar etc. and the cure is 0.75% nitrite from my butcher/meat supplier.... Check out the link to the supplier and the % nitrite in the cure..... Not trying to be an a-hole.... just want everyone to make safe food..... Dave

Originally Posted by madman mike View Post

Sorry, we used F.S Cure. http://jbsausagesupplies.com/?page=ProductDetail&id=506
This supplier actually recommend a ratio of 3.5% when using this product.

Its not pink like most #1 cures.

Sorry about the confusion

Ingredients: Salt, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Bicarbonate, Silicon Dioxide (mfg. aid). Contains: 5% Sodium Nitrite. - See more at: http://jbsausagesupplies.com/?page=ProductDetail&id=506#sthash.2fizliKY.dpuf

Last edited:
Being safe is the most important thing, however the standard cure #1/ #2 /pink salt /prague powder and percentage has always been 6.25%

Last edited:
Dan, P.S. Seasonings in Wi and Waltons in Ks have a comercial branch/ division whatever, they will package seasoning or blend one for you, I'm sure they can wil package small amounts for you to sell. Hope this helps.

Terry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky