Best 40" MES available now?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Im looking to upgrade from my 30" MES that has seen better days. I always want more cooking space so I dont have to cut down my briskets. Is 40" the biggest MES? I know I can look on amazon or whatever to find out what MES they have, but I want to know your opinions from the guys who actually own and use them.

I have had my 40” fir a long time and it had never failed me, its a first generation so im not up to date on the newer versions

Im looking to upgrade from my 30" MES that has seen better days. I always want more cooking space so I dont have to cut down my briskets. Is 40" the biggest MES? I know I can look on amazon or whatever to find out what MES they have, but I want to know your opinions from the guys who actually own and use them.

This (Below) is still pretty accurate. Their are a couple new ones, but most of them are Hybrids:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

I think MES40 is the biggest electric smoker they have - and it is plenty big for home use. From their website:

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers/type_digital-electric?sort_by=manual

I had an MES40 Gen 2.5 that finally died and I replaced it with an MES40 Gen 2.0 because of an awesome deal-of-the-day price on Amazon - like $149 and Prime shipping! I just checked and saw no spectacular prices today.

Both the 2.0 and 2.5 can handle a full packer, whole racks of ribs and whole salmon filet's. I have smoked 4 Boston butts at the same time with room to spare in mine as well.

HOWEVER - I did take the water pan and racks/rack hangers from my beloved 2.5 and put them in the 2.0 so I could get rid of the (stupid) slanted drip plate on the bottom and the (even dumber) baby grease catcher - because I can't even imagine that acting as a water pan. It took a few love taps from a hammer to make the 2.5 water pan to fit, but fit it does. Works awesome and I like the 2.0 remote controller a little bit better than the blue-tooth app for the 2.5.

ALSO - I never, ever put water in the water pan. Not needed.

It seems that the Masterbuilt 20070115 is the one Im looking for. Its the 2.5, 40" with bluetooth. The problem is I cant find anyone who has it, not even amazon. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
81iUgaJ+wEL._SY450_.jpg

It seems that the Masterbuilt 20070115 is the one Im looking for. Its the 2.5, 40" with bluetooth. The problem is I cant find anyone who has it, not even amazon. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
View attachment 404277

If you read my links above, you already know the MES40--#2.5 is my favorite.
Keep your eyes open---They pop up here & there pretty often.

Bear

Yes I did read those! is this the one u have? The 20070115?

Same here as Bear. Got mine at Bass Pro. Love this machine. Even the temperature probes are within 3 degrees of a Thermo Works mark 4.

Last edited:
Actually the model # can be very helpful, esp in this case, because so many of their smokers look alike. In mean in this case, the one I think I want looks the same as yours, but has 4 racks instead of 6 that yours has. Id be very interested in the 6 rack model, but without the model # id just be guessing and wont know what to search for . Any chance you can look at the back of or the bottom of your smoker and take a pic for the model # for me?

Actually the model # can be very helpful, esp in this case, because so many of their smokers look alike. In mean in this case, the one I think I want looks the same as yours, but has 4 racks instead of 6 that yours has. Id be very interested in the 6 rack model, but without the model # id just be guessing and wont know what to search for . Any chance you can look at the back of or the bottom of your smoker and take a pic for the model # for me?

You have to understand why I ignore Model #s.
Some have a special Model Number just because of which store they sent them to--Exact same model as others but sent to Sams, or one of the other big retailers. That's just one of the reasons many of us quit worrying about the model numbers. Another thing is if you don't see it in the store with your own two eyes, you won't know which interior or exterior it has, regardless of which model number they say it is. And the picture in an ad could be of a Gen #2.5, and you get there & it is a Gen #2 POS.

When I got my MES40, Gen #1 (first MES40), I was watching for them in Cabelas ads, and calling them to see what the had. Nothing, they said.
So My Son went to Cabelas for some other stuff, and he called me to tell me they had the one I was looking for. I got there, and it had already been there for 2 weeks. Then when I went to the warehouse to load it up, they had 37 more stacked up in there!! So the only way to know for sure if they have the one you want, and how many racks it has, or which model it is would be to see it there yourself.

Bear

Some have a special Model Number just because of which store they sent them to-

I was watching for them in Cabelas
All good info .
My impression , and I might be wrong , is that the ones that come from Cabelas and Bass pro are the ones with six racks .
Sportsman Elite - Cabelas
Adventure series - Bass pro .
They used to have 6 rack positions , but now they have 4 positions with 2 dual racks .

So like Bear is saying , you almost need to look in person so you know what you're getting .

While I agree with needing to look for yourself, it also helps if I know which ones you guys have exactly so I dont end up with a 2.0 when I want a 2.5..

While I agree with needing to look for yourself, it also helps if I know which ones you guys have exactly so I dont end up with a 2.0 when I want a 2.5..

I'll look and see what I can find.
I gotta go out later & start my Generator for it's 2 month running, anyway.

However this MES 340G (below) would be the best I can find right now.
It's basically the same as an MES 40 Gen #2.5.
Link:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/40-inch-...2014799?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1

Bear

Thanks Bear! I will look that one up and keep in mind that they may not mean much. Maybe I will have to go thru masterbuilt to get the one I want.

Thanks Bear! I will look that one up and keep in mind that they may not mean much. Maybe I will have to go thru masterbuilt to get the one I want.

If I was currently in the market for one it would definitely be the 340G I posted above in Post #14.
It has the same interior as the #2.5, and the top vent is on the left like the #2.5.
The only difference is the size & shape of the window.
I don't think I ever saw more than one or two others with 6 racks, like mine.

Masterbuilt gets an arm & a leg if you get one from them. (Last I heard)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky