Bellies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dpaus

Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Got 40lbs of cured bellies for smoking tommorrow! I found them locally for $2.49 a lb cured.

Question? Anybody ever used mulberry for smoking bacon?

Last time I did this I used cherry-apple mix .But I here mulberry is pretty good and I have a unlimited supply(can't kill the darn things)

It should work...

PS: If you need more Mullberry, There is one on the line between my house and my neighbors you can have...  It's on his side so since he won't cut it I plan on Killing it...

Please tell me more about being able to buy bellies already cured.  That's a good price for fresh bellies much the less a product that has had some attention payed to it.  Saves you a couple of weeks of cure time.

Al

When I first bought them I was on a bowhunting trip in Ohio.

My brother in law has neighbors that have been smoking bacon for yearsThey usually do a couple 100 lbs at a time,As you can guess it gets cheaper the more you buy.He took me to marshallville packing in Ohio,

I picked up 20 lbs for the same price.Long story short He was coming up to Wi. for the week soo I asked if he could bring some,

Unfortunatly they now wanted $3.99 a pound so I went to the local meat markets.Price varied between $2.49-$3.19 lb,some wanted .50 a lb to cure.Had to wait a week for them to cure it,but no extra charge for curing.sooo now I start smoking ing the a.m.

That would be cool to buy them already cured. Good luck with the smoke and be sure to post some Qview for us

What I have found so far is that most meat markets will cure for you for a small charge,but you are limited to the way they smoke them if you buy it already smoked.

this way I can use the wood I want,for the taste I want,You can buy them brined or tumbled and cure,just depend's on how long you want to wait.

Tumbled and cured 8 hours brined 7 days.I live not too far from Jones dairy farm and they would not even sell me the bellies.They wanted $4.88 a lb for

cherry smoked bacon?Must think they had the last cherry tree in the U.S.

Dpaus .

I get a good bit more than $ 4.88 per lb of home smoked bacon. Whole foods sells some small house for $7.99lb

No offense to you but I;m talking about smoking my own.The place I am talking about probly makes several thousand pounds at a time.Cherry wood is not scarce by any means.

Just saying I dont make bacon to sell.I still don't know whether to use mulberry or not,maybe I'll stick with apple/cherry.

p.s. look up Jones Dairy they are not a home brew place.I have done sheet metal work on the buildings.the smoke house alone is bigger than my house.

icon_cool.gif

Now the place where buy my bellies cure their own but they want more like 4.99lb for there stuff. Now they smoke it with what ever they have. I like curing my own bellies just so I can regulate whats in it. The curing can make or break it to me. The smoking does alot but you can make the bacon taste sweet, bitter, or anyway that you want to. I personally like a wood selection of apple for a few (6-7) hours and then some hickory for the last 1 maybe 2. You should check out "HogZilla"   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/104983/slicing-hog-zilla  

I agree thats why I wanted BIL to bring me some from Ohio I had a good batch the last time.

This batch is kinda unknown.I also thoght about bubbing with maple syrup before/after smoking?

I'm still trying to find a place around here that even sells bellies. We don't have a meat market in town that I know of.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts. Be sure to post your qview 

I give up, the bacon was great.I am trying to post pics but my computer keeps recovering the tab whenever I try to add them?

91ca622a_100_1657.jpg
it finally woked for me.anyways I still have all 9 fingers after slicing.........

Send my a pm and I will send you my email address.  I can try and download them for you.  Do you think it is a problem with your computer or the site

says cause I'm a newb the have to moderate.Before it would'nt let me post them.so they are coming.

I'm still trying to find a place around here that even sells bellies. We don't have a meat market in town that I know of.
Raptor came by to visit last weekend and told me he couldn't find any bellies in this part of Fl (panhandle) either. It is a Smithfield product so I will get the local winn dixie or other store to get us a case to split. Most places can get them..they just dont have much of a market. Here in Atl the Asians use pork bellie all the time so it is easy to get.

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky