Beer Throne Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CarmeloL

Original poster
Nov 15, 2022
Hi,

I like to make beer throne turkey for Thanksgiving. Looking for tips and advice.

thank you!

Welcome from Tennessee........What's "beer throne turkey"? Lol

Edit...... nevermind I googled it. Make sure you don't use a bird over 12lb

Reactions: CarmeloL
I've had even small chickens tip over with those. The fix was to use fender washers and 1/4-20 bolts to firmly attach the base to the grate/grill.
But to be honest, I never found the taste worth writing home about. If you like smoke flavor, you want the bird's gut exposed to smoke, not an aluminum can.

Reactions: bauchjw
Frankly not worth the effort, IMO. Better to spatchcock this size of bird so It can get done more evenly.

Reactions: BigW.
I haven’t done a beer can chicken in a while, but I remember liking it. I’ve never done a Turkey that way, only spatchcock or legs and wings removed. I’d be curious to see what you do though. What are you cooking it on? I wonder if you could use cooking string or wire to keep it standing?

No matter how you cook it, dry or wet brine it 24 hrs out. I just did a practice Turkey last weekend and used a dry brine, getting under skin is important. It really elevated the flavor.

Hi,

I like to make beer throne turkey for Thanksgiving. Looking for tips and advice.

thank you!
I highly recommend this tool vs a beer can. It is big to work with turkeys, may be a little big for chickens unless you are doing big chickens.

I set this in a foil pan and then put the bird on it :)

Norpro Deluxe Stainless Steel Vertical Meat Poultry Chicken Turkey Roaster, 266​

I've done 28 pound birds with it :)

I highly recommend this tool vs a beer can. It is big to work with turkeys, may be a little big for chickens unless you are doing big chickens.

I set this in a foil pan and then put the bird on it :)

Norpro Deluxe Stainless Steel Vertical Meat Poultry Chicken Turkey Roaster, 266​

I've done 28 pound birds with it :)
Thank you for the tip. This is the throne I purchased. I agree not to use can. I have been making with beer throne with chicken and find it so much moister than spatchcock cock. So like to take it to the next step.

Thank you for the tip. This is the throne I purchased. I agree not to use can. I have been making with beer throne with chicken and find it so much moister than spatchcock cock. So like to take it to the next step.

You got the right idea with that device. If you ever need to go bigger that Nopro one I linked will handle the job.

I like having turkeys and chickens verticle. I read in a couple of places that having a bird sit vertical in an electric smoker (what I use) helps with the skin. I think this applies in any kind of smoker because the air can really flow up and along the front, back, and sides of the bird where lying down that isn't the case.

I also now will hang my birds (vertical position) and hams in stocking bags as well. The bags are cheap for a bunch of them AND makes cleanup easier since there is no rack to clean. I still hang them over my foil pan as that keeps things clean. My brined/cured birds and hams are full of liquid so lots comes out to be caught and keep the smoker from drowning hahaha.

I hope this info helps :)

You got the right idea with that device. If you ever need to go bigger that Nopro one I linked will handle the job.

I like having turkeys and chickens verticle. I read in a couple of places that having a bird sit vertical in an electric smoker (what I use) helps with the skin. I think this applies in any kind of smoker because the air can really flow up and along the front, back, and sides of the bird where lying down that isn't the case.

I also now will hang my birds (vertical position) and hams in stocking bags as well. The bags are cheap for a bunch of them AND makes cleanup easier since there is no rack to clean. I still hang them over my foil pan as that keeps things clean. My brined/cured birds and hams are full of liquid so lots comes out to be caught and keep the smoker from drowning hahaha.

I hope this info helps :)
Thank you very much for information. I'll let you know how it comes out next Thursday :-)

Reactions: tallbm
I still worry about stability with these. At least tallbm's can be anchored to the BBQ grate with a piece of strip steel and a couple nuts/bolts. The ceramic one not so much so I'd recommend some guy wires from the top of the bird to the grate to prevent tipping as it cooks and the center of gravity shifts.

There's also the turkey cannon. I never used one but I've heard good things about them.

1668735571576.png

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
There's also the turkey cannon. I never used one but I've heard good things about them.

View attachment 648834
Thank you for the tip. I took the turkey out today and tested, the bird is too big to stand in the Ironwood Traeger, unable to close the cover. So back to spatch cook 🙁. I will give the turkey cannon a try next time. Amazon can only deliver by Nov 27.

View attachment 648834
I bought one yrs ago, and used it the same amount of times I used my beer can chicken holders, once!!!
Besides holding the bird in a nice pose, I couldn't taste or tell the difference between regular roasted or smoked fowl.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky