beer can chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beerivore

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
NW burbs of Chicago
Does beer add flavor to the chicken or does it just keep it juicy? I was thinking of doing one, but what beer to use? Do the darker beers infuse? better flavor? I have read that some people have put some dry rub in the can too. What kinda wood is best to smoke with?

thanks

It leaves very little flavor in my opinion, however I have heard that colas are noticeable, I think because of sweetness. You've got me thinking of trying a Guiness nest time ... hmmm!
I think mainly it makes it more moist, although none of the liquid seems to disappear, sometimes there seems to be more than when you started .... curious.
Apple is great, but my favorite for chicken is pecan. Cherry would also be great. Mesquite and hickory although very good is stronger.
You can toss any seasonings you like in the beer can too ... if you think you will like something, usually you do.

Have fun!

Most people I know seem to like Dr. Pepper the best for flavor.

I don't taste anything much from beer and I've tried German Altbier, Corona, Long Trail Aleand Yuenling Black and Tan. IMHO I just wasted a few good beers!

I use the can mostly for moisture and have tried it with apple juice and Dr Pepper inside, but have not noticed any real enhancement of flavor.

It is darn convenient to be smokin them chickens upright tho...!!!

My wood preference is Apple with either Hickory or Mesquite.

That's what I figured. Since you posted it I remember reading people using Dr. Pepper. I particularly don't like it, but if it gives a good flavor to the chicken then what the hay.
I don't want to waste any beers, lol. I guess I will have to go buy some chickens and it's "live and learn", right?

Personally I think Dr. Pepper is almost as bad as Kool-aid ....
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

As for the beer ... it is never wasted, the chicken only gets about a quarter can ... I get the rest.
icon_smile.gif

Probably could get away with H2O, but it wouldn't me near as fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky