Beer can chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vaalpens

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
Southeast, WA
I haven't posted anything in a while, so I thought it was about time.

This weekend I decided to do a beer can chicken using a frozen whole chicken we had in the freezer. I really think the beer can chicken is becoming one of my favorites on the pellet grill.

Following are the steps I followed for the beer can chicken:
  • I used a 16oz beer can with a beer can holder. Can was opened up on the top.
  • Applied some oil to the chicken, then used Jeff's original rub. The skin is really tasty with this rub.
  • Top hole of the chicken is plugged with an apple
  • GMG was set for 300F, but I adjusted it to 310F to keep the temperature to around 300F based on my Inkbird.
  • After about 2 hours the Inbird showed an IT of 165F, but my thermapen only showed 145F. Decided to trust the Thermapen and kept it another 15 minutes or so until the Thermapen registered 165F
Over the last few cooks it seems that my Inkbird shows about 20 degrees below my Thermapen. I'm not sure why there is such a big difference, but when I started using the Inkbird it seemed more accurate. I even did the ice test with the Thermpen this weekend, and it came to 32F,so it is accurate.

The beer can chicken is definitely one of my favorites since it is so easy to do. I think the beer can stand makes it easier, and it is important to have a rub you enjoy. At 300F there is not a lot of smoke on the GMG, but that is fine. Even the next day the smoke test is not overpowering. The taste is great and the meat comes out tender. I don't brine the chicken.

One improvement I should try and make is to try and apply the rub more evenly.

And some pictures to go with the post:
IMG_0864bcc.jpg

IMG_0865bcc.jpg

IMG_0919bcc.jpg

IMG_0927bcc.jpg

Good looking birdie. I like doing beer can chicken a couple times a year.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice lookin' yard bird! FYIW some time back I finally did an experiment with a bird on a stand but without using the can. Honestly I couldn't tell any difference.

Nice lookin' yard bird! FYIW some time back I finally did an experiment with a bird on a stand but without using the can. Honestly I couldn't tell any difference.
Thanks for the comments. I am planning to experiment with some different can content to see what difference it makes. Interesting that you couldn't detect a difference when using just the stand.

Good looking birdie. I like doing beer can chicken a couple times a year.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks for the comments. I will probably do it more than a couple of times a year. I also used Famous Dave's chicken rub once, also with a great taste. Chicken definitely needs a good rub.

This is the rub we use when doing whole chicken. I've gone back to using the grill with a smoke source vs the smoker and that has resolved the skin issue (just bite thru vs crispy). Also, have found that a brine for 4 hours follow by letting it dry on a rack in the fridge for 4 hours makes for a better result. Especially for next day left over breast meat which remains significantly more tender.
  • 2 tsp kosher salt, OMIT IF BIRD IS BRINED
  • 2 tsp paprika, I use Hungarian
  • 2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp thyme, dried (usually use powdered)
  • 1 whole lemon zest - very important don't leave out, zest the whole lemon
  • 1 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
Matt

This is the rub we use when doing whole chicken. I've gone back to using the grill with a smoke source vs the smoker and that has resolved the skin issue (just bite thru vs crispy). Also, have found that a brine for 4 hours follow by letting it dry on a rack in the fridge for 4 hours makes for a better result. Especially for next day left over breast meat which remains significantly more tender.
  • 2 tsp kosher salt, OMIT IF BIRD IS BRINED
  • 2 tsp paprika, I use Hungarian
  • 2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp thyme, dried (usually use powdered)
  • 1 whole lemon zest - very important don't leave out, zest the whole lemon
  • 1 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
Matt
Matt, thanks for sharing your rub recipe. I will definitely try it on a chicken at some. When you use your grill for the chicken, what is the grill temperature? When you started using the grill, was that to get a bite through or crispy skin?

I set my pellet grill to 300F, but I will probably up the temperature next time. I prefer a crispier skin.

Normally run the grill around 350-375º and yes it was to get the skin the way we wanted, crispy. Using the smoker wasn't getting done. We place the chicken in a indirect area on the grill with the smoker tube in the same location. Good idea to place the chicken inside a collection point to capture all the rendered fat. Makes cleaning the grill easier after the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky