Beer Brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Can I get some possible recommendations for brand and locations to purchase quality bear brats? They had some really tasty ones last Summer at Sam's Club but I no longer see them in the store there. I see Johnsonville in my local supermarket but can any of you recommend some other brand and where you get them? I'm in So Cal of course so I know that store names vary from region to region. Thanks in advance.

George

Smithfield has some out right now that are Yuengling beer brats. I bought a pack a couple weeks ago and grilled them up and they were wonderful but kind of pricy.

I usually buy the regular johnsonville or store brand brats and soak them in PBR for a few hours.

I should have mentioned the ones at costco come in 4 vacuum sealed packs with 4 brats in each one, they are really big brats too. For the girls we usually slice them down the middle.

Thanks for the offer but I don't hae any of the equipment to make sausage. That is my primary reason for looking for something commercially available. I don't even have room for any other cooking/food prep equipment in my tiny kitchen.

George

I'm hoarding recipes for the day I can make my own, I'll take you up on that offer. Can't go wrong with onion and garlic. Post it here or Message me.

I like to keep my recipes simple. I want to be able to taste every ingredient. This recipe may not look like much but it's always a hit at the big BBQ my wife and I throw every summer.

Per pound of coarse ground pork shoulder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white sugar
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tbs. dried minced garlic
1/2 tbs. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 oz. beer

Mix everything and stuff your casings. I like to let them sit over night in the fridge. I feel the flavors meld better that way. Just my opinion. The dried onion and garlic really soak up the beer for excellent flavor and moisture retention.
I've used a few different kinds of beer for these and they have all turned out good. Pale ale and porter were the best for me while the IPA the hops were a little to forward. Again just my opinion. Any questions just ask. Try it, I hope you like it.

Jared

As a Wisconsinite we just get any ole brat, and .... wait for it.. boil the brats in a mix of beer and onion. Then a good sear till they look crispy on the outside..then back into the beer and onions to simmer! That is what a beer brat to me is :) Though hey Johnsonville is always a decent go to. Just get their stadium brats and do the whole boil up in beer, sear on both sides for crispyness and back in the beer bath.

Oh and before I forget, alot of people sautee the onions with garlic etc and we'll lay the onion from the beer bath onto our brats.

<I do not recommend actually drinking the beer bath, though some people after to many adult time beverages will try!>

To expand on Tom's post above a great beer bath needs to have butter added prior to putting the seared brats back in - 9 times out of 10 it's the way I make our brats for family, friends and strangers *** fantastic***

To expand on Tom's post above a great beer bath needs to have butter added prior to putting the seared brats back in - 9 times out of 10 it's the way I make our brats for family, friends and strangers *** fantastic***
I usuall make a veal and pork brats and when having guests over for a multiple meat meal I will cook brats on grill and then put in beer and onions and butter and let them low simmer on grill in a foil pan and watch them plump back up and become so tender and good. also this way brats are always ready to eat and no wait.tou can stack them in the pan like firewood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky