been sawing wood for a couple days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wncrick

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
Holden Beach, NC
Brought down a huge oak in the front yard.  I know all the Q joints back home smoked with oak.  This is a laurel oak, is it suitable to smoke with or just campfire wood?

Many thanks

Rick

Hello Rick.  I have never used laurel oak.  I have used plenty of live oak.  I can give you no definitive answer but every source I have checked basically says there is no BAD oak to use for smoking.  So from what I have read you will not be poisoned by it but may not like the flavour.  Hopefully by bumping your thread maybe you will get more answers.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

If you're going to make firewood out of it anyway , I would just take a hunk when it's dried out a bit and light it up. Make a little campfire....smell that smoke and see what you think. If it's not obnoxious , give it a shot as smoke wood ....worst case you might throw away a little chicken or some hot dogs. :biggrin:

Thank you gentlemen.  I appreciate it.  Nice fella from the site told me it's a close cousin to the live oak(we have plenty of those here as well).  I'll do a lil  test run with it and do as you guys suggest and give results.  Thanks again.

Rick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky