Been a while but here is my 1st Packer, a new mini WSM and an update on me - Q-View included

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big twig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Well, I have been extremely busy for the past couple of months with moving, a new job, various times without a computer or camera and underground catering. I haven't really posted in a while but when I have a free second I do a quick lurk and leave. I have seen some great q-view in my absence, keep it up everyone.

So I finally found a packer that I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for, thanks Wally World in Dumfries, VA (I now have a cooler that stays in the truck of my car for random meat pick ups, I am on the road a lot and have come across a lot of good places for meat that are not close to me at all). I have done flats and corned beef points but never a whole packer and since I have mastered all things pork I figured I should work on Beef. I have eaten brisket at random Q joints and never really liked it, same goes for my wife. I did a simple SPOG + Chili Powder to keep it simple. Smoked till about 175 (If I remember correctly) then separated the point for burnt ends, added more rub to the flat while the cubed point got Q-Sauce and rub, then both back in the smoker (no foil, just foil pan for the burnt ends). Let them both go for a couple more hours until a toothpick slid into the flat, then foiled to rest while lightly saucing and stirring the burnt ends. Took 18-20hrs all together I think, wasn't paying much attention. Smoked in my WSM with Kingsford Blue and Cherry Chunks (been using a lot of cherry, its becoming one of my favorites to use). Enough talk on with the show.

15lb packer

5d1acb18_1stPacker1.jpg

fb04ef16_1stPacker2.jpg

Light rub to let the meat shine, really didn't trim at all

6c003468_1stPacker3.jpg

Out to separate flat and point

fb45118d_1stPacker6.jpg

Had a little trouble figuring out where what was but it all worked out, there was a whole layer of fat covering the flat, was a little different then I have seen before, either way more rub and back on the smoker

910c41bd_1stPacker7.jpg

The point (broken up) before slicing, added a spicier rub with sugar in it for more kick and burn for the ends. Used stubbs spicy BBQ sauce cause I don't have a Texas style recipe(feel free to send them my way, never been to Texas so I don't know where to begin). I wanted a spicy tomato based sauce and this worked great surprisingly.

2fa24f23_1stPacker8.jpg

Because it has been a while since I have done Q-View I forgot to take any more picture. So here is the next day plate of brisket, burnt ends, potato salad, and Slaw. (looked a lot better the day of)

9989c8c6_1stPacker11.jpg

Conclusion: I can cook brisket too. It turned out better then I knew brisket could taste, very moist, glad I kept it simple on the rub cause the beef alone was amazing. Now my wife says she loves brisket but will only eat it when i make it (or one of my Q buddies who is a master of brisket and whole hog). I will be doing this much more often.

Besides that I have been doing a lot of catering (underground, just family and friends, word of mouth kind of thing). I have created and sold recipes to restaurants in the past couple of years but lately it has been cooking for parties. Every weekend for the past 2 months I have had to cook for a party and as of right now I am booked through August. I have been doing anything from deli plates to BBQ to 6 course dinner parties. I cook on site or at my house depending on the menu and head count.

Everything I have done in my life always brings me back to cooking and my wife and I have been talking about me going back to finish my culinary and restaurant management degrees (I switched majors instead of finishing them) which looks like it might be happening. I won't know for sure for a little while but we are hoping to move to Charlotte, NC so I can go back to my Alma Mater, Johnson & Wales University(DON'T HATE CHEF JIMMY J, I know you have CIA in your family). I went to the Miami, Fl campus but I like NC and my wife lived in NC for 6 years and has been trying to get me to move there for a while now. So we are hoping to move by September.
yahoo.gif

Oh yeah, below is some food I did for a party of 150 for a high school graduation 2 weeks ago. Very Italian family who now loves smoked meat.

I finally got a new camera so I can take pictures again.

Smoked meat and cheese platters (Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey roast, provolone, & Cheddar)

5e267e7c_PhyllisParty2.jpg

69965f4c_Phyllispartyplatter.jpg

That was just the pretty stuff, I had bags and bags of meat and cheese for refills.

Roasted corn and vegetable salad was the other thing I made for the party. (again just the pretty one)

a91af4fa_RoastedCornSalad2.jpg

I also saw all of those posts on the mini WSM's so I had to jump on the wagon.

2224825d_MiniWSM1.jpg

98096bcb_MiniWSM2.jpg

11efb9c8_MiniWSM3.jpg

Since this is a food site I will end on this note. Cheeseburger with smoked provolone and cheddar with a side of green bean fries (roasted green beans) with a lemon garlic aioli for dipping(not pictured).

af583a1b_CheeseburgerGreenBeanFries.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That looks good .
I keep wanting to build the mini WSM but the stores around here dont have the pot for it .
I need to order it on line

That looks good .
I keep wanting to build the mini WSM but the stores around here dont have the pot for it .
I need to order it on line
Thanks!
That mini looks awesome!! How'd you do the graphic? Vinyl mask?
Thanks! I just found an image online and printed it out, blew it up to the size I wanted in a copy machine. Cut out the section that wasn't going to be painted, masking tape over the cut out section, cut out the rest using an exacto knife then painted the whole thing with 3 coats. The skull is just the aluminum of the pot and the rest is painted. I don't have any art talent so i was pretty happy when it came out so awesome. I have 3 people who have asked me to make them one with various designs including a mud flap girl.

BIG TWIG, glad to have you back! It sounds as if you have been busy while you were gone. The brisket and burger both look killer!
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky