Beef Tongue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walterwhite

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Chicago area
Do I need to boil it and peel it first or can I smoke it, peel it and then braise it?

Suggestions for the proper wood (probably whatever works well for beef in general) would also be appreciated. I'm thinking hickory, oak and black walnut.

I have a taste for some tongue! :D

thanks,

Last edited:
Don't forget the Q-view!
Can I just stick my tongue out at you? :p

Not the same?

8524e9e5_DSC_3659-PP.jpg

OK, Here you go. I did it on my mini-WSM with some beef cheeks. The tongue came out great. (thT cheeks, not so much...) I had some cold smoked tongue at lunch today, sliced and garnished with ketchup mixed with horseradish sauce. I was in heaven! Tonight I'm having a go at an old family recipe.

Can I just stick my tongue out at you? :p

Not the same?

8524e9e5_DSC_3659-PP.jpg

OK, Here you go. I did it on my mini-WSM with some beef cheeks. The tongue came out great. (thT cheeks, not so much...) I had some cold smoked tongue at lunch today, sliced and garnished with ketchup mixed with horseradish sauce. I was in heaven! Tonight I'm having a go at an old family recipe.

Looks good, but you gotta include some pics of slices!

You could make a mixture of beef cheeks and beef tongue!!!

You could call it, "Tongue in Cheek" ?!?!?!

Bear

Looks really good; nothing like tasting something that can taste you back!
biggrin.gif

I usually go to Japan to visit each year, and always make sure to have yakiniku-style tongue at least once while I'm there.  I have a deli-slicer, and slice my own at home and make it the same way, but never thought about smoking them whole.

Thanks for the great idea!

-Hex

Looks good, but you gotta include some pics of slices!

You could make a mixture of beef cheeks and beef tongue!!!

You could call it, "Tongue in Cheek" ?!?!?!

Bear
How does he come up with this stuff???

roflmao.gif

My lack of skills as a food stylist does not take anything away from how good this was!

0ce8942a_DSC_3661-PP.jpg

That's sliced smoked beef tongue simmered in canned tomato soup with a few bay leaves. We enjoyed that when we first got married and could get beef tongue for $0.29/lb. Back then it was boiled. Smoking it makes it just that much better.

I do need to work on the bread dumpling. This one would best be described as substantial. Perhaps Heavy Duty. Al Dente? But I still love it!

I'm looking to do some tongue pretty soon.  What temp did you smoke it at and what was the internal temp at when you pulled it. 

Based on the other post 3 hours boiled (in beer) and 2 hours on the smoker with hickory.

I'm looking to do some tongue pretty soon.  What temp did you smoke it at and what was the internal temp at when you pulled it. 

Based on the other post 3 hours boiled (in beer) and 2 hours on the smoker with hickory.
Hi LGHT,

My notes say "boiled a couple hours until I could peel the skin." I smoked it in my mini which seems to read on the low side. Temps were about 210°  F but it seems to cook more like it's about 225°. I pulled it in about 3+ hours when the internal temp hit 175°. My notes indicate I foiled it and put it in a 250° oven. Unfortunately my notes end there. (I was probably hungry... ;) ) I don't like tongue fall apart tender so I probably finished it off about 180°-185°.

Thanks for the notes.  I'll admit I almost never take written notes, so it's a big help that you have notes at all.  I'll post some info once I find fresh tongue in my area and get it on a smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky