Beef Tongue Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Houndstooth

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2022
Utah
First of all, Thank you Futurist Optimist!!! Couldn’t have done this without your help.
Thread 'Smoked Beef Heart and Tongue'
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-beef-heart-and-tongue.280345/

So, I’ve eaten tongue tacos many a time this is the first time ever cooking with Lengua.
Into a pot of water:
1-stick of celery chopped
1-wedge of onion broken apart
1- clove of garlic chopped
Salt to taste
Mrs. Dash onion and herb seasoning
Pinch of Celery salt
Simmered 90 minutes
Peeled the tongue

-Rubbed with a seasoning I had on hand, a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, dried basil, cumin, salt and pepper.
Into the smoker at 225. Treager Cherry pellets.

-After an hour it looked a little dry so I slathered on a little bit of “Sweet Baby Rays”and turned the smoker up to 235.

-Smoked for another <45 minutes and checked with the probe. In and out like butter.

-Let rest for about 10 minutes and chopped it up for tacos.

Grade: A- to B+ (Successful)

I didn’t get the smoke ring I wanted and the top layer of bark was just a touch tough. I think I’ll add the BBQ Sauce earlier next time to keep it moist. However, IMHO the Lengua was the most tender I’ve ever had. Not chewy at all. The wife enjoyed it and she’s a first timer to Lengua so I’m happy.
45337354-4AF2-48C1-B2E8-D82B1CC9D4BF.jpeg

4BF62C20-B4A4-462C-B7F8-ADC8EDFACA3C.jpeg

20615E80-12A2-4924-BC56-C40534818E5D.jpeg

330C2C3F-DF60-4598-826B-2AB14BA16761.jpeg

F6BC127D-D5B7-4450-B1F4-15F436325C33.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks great! I've never had tongue before but this is inspiring!

Those look great. Only had it once. Thought the flavor was good, but the texture was rubbery. I would definately go for those. Good job.

Those look great. Only had it once. Thought the flavor was good, but the texture was rubbery. I would definately go for those. Good job.
Thanks Guitars. Most of the Taco joints around town have rubbery lengua. It can be really off putting. I was pleasantly surprised by the meat. I’m hoping I can get the bark figured out for next time. I’m not sure if I should add the BBQ sauce earlier or later in the smoke 🤔

If I ever get brave enough.. I will check out the link you posted too

Aww c’mon Kilo! Haha.
I admit this first time was a little rough to prepare. It was almost like when I smoked a pigs head for the first time. Man I had a queasy stomach all night long. The next time I prepped it was all good. The tongue buds are definitely not appealing to think about but once it’s simmered and stripped IMO it was nothing.

Looks great! Never had beef tongue before but have had venison...while it was good I felt it wasn't worth the effort for what little there was. But the beef tongue much bigger. :emoji_thumbsup: for the pigs head as well!

Ryan

Looks great! Never had beef tongue before but have had venison...while it was good I felt it wasn't worth the effort for what little there was. But the beef tongue much bigger. :emoji_thumbsup: for the pigs head as well!

Ryan
Thank you Brokenhandle. I thought it was going to be more work than it was. The cow tongue made 6 full “street tacos”.
Yeah, we try to make the most of what we have.

I sous vide tongue quite often, never thought of smoking it. Will have to give it a shot, when I can get it at a decent price. 👍
I hear you there. Crazy prices for everything! I’m lucky enough to have a co-worker who raises and sells a few grass fed Angus steers each year. We just picked up our half Thursday. It’s about an 1.5 drive to pick up from the butcher but they do hang ‘em for 14 days. This year it was a total of $900 for 333 lbs of hanging weight and another $300 to the Butcher (processing).
Found this Langua from last year buried on a shelf and figured it was time to put up some tacos.

I have to say the homemade salsa helped😎

Roast
3-garden fresh jalapeños
4-garden fresh Roma tomatoes
1-white onion loosely split apart

Add above to a blender plus the following:
1.5-2tsp kosher Salt
Juice from 1 lime
roughly 2lbs of Roma tomatoes
2.5-3 Oz. White vinegar
4-5 cloves of garlic
Pinch of coarse pepper
(We has a couple green Roma’s from the last little harvest of the year so I threw those in as well so+2 green Roma tomatoes)

Blend and serve.

Reactions: jcam222
First of all, Thank you Futurist Optimist!!! Couldn’t have done this without your help.
Thread 'Smoked Beef Heart and Tongue'
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-beef-heart-and-tongue.280345/

So, I’ve eaten tongue tacos many a time this is the first time ever cooking with Lengua.
Into a pot of water:
1-stick of celery chopped
1-wedge of onion broken apart
1- clove of garlic chopped
Salt to taste
Mrs. Dash onion and herb seasoning
Pinch of Celery salt
Simmered 90 minutes
Peeled the tongue

-Rubbed with a seasoning I had on hand, a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, dried basil, cumin, salt and pepper.
Into the smoker at 225. Treager Cherry pellets.

-After an hour it looked a little dry so I slathered on a little bit of “Sweet Baby Rays”and turned the smoker up to 235.

-Smoked for another <45 minutes and checked with the probe. In and out like butter.

-Let rest for about 10 minutes and chopped it up for tacos.

Grade: A- to B+ (Successful)

I didn’t get the smoke ring I wanted and the top layer of bark was just a touch tough. I think I’ll add the BBQ Sauce earlier next time to keep it moist. However, IMHO the Lengua was the most tender I’ve ever had. Not chewy at all. The wife enjoyed it and she’s a first timer to Lengua so I’m happy.
View attachment 648969
View attachment 648968
View attachment 648970
View attachment 648972
View attachment 648971
I actually peel the skin off and then slice very thin. It is better than most roast beef

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky