Beef tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkthompson

Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Any thoughts on smoking a 7 lb beef tenderloin? 

Do I marinade it and with what?

Meat temperature I am looking for?

Type of wood to use?

I did a venison loin a while back and used a sprig of fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, garlic, salt , and water. Left it in the frig overnight to soak up the flavors. Pecan is my favorite for beef.

I'd skip the marinade and go with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.  Could also add onion and garlic powder as well.  To help it adhere, slather the tenderloin with some Olive Oil or Thick Worcestershire sauce.  

As for wood, kind of depends on your personal preference.   For example, I love Hickory but I'm not that partial to Mesquite.  Therefore, I'd obviously recommend using Hickory over Mesquite   :)

I'd smoke it @ about 225 and would pull it  out when internal temp reached 127ish.  It would end up being on the slightly rare side of mid-rare once it rested.

If you want a nice crust on it, you could do a reverse sear on it and put it in a 500 degree oven or on a very hot grill once it's been smoked.   When I've done this, I always went right from the smoker to the high heat but I just read about doing the searing after the beef has rested and I will be trying that on my next roast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky