Beef Short Ribs (hopefully with Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mlaff0842

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
One of the biggest challenges I have had in grillin' and smokin' has been doing short ribs right.  I found some at the local Food Lion store recently so I bought 4 lbs to give it another shot.  

I ran across a recipe for short ribs in one the on-line recipe sites that sounded pretty good and thought I would like to try it.  It was kind of a sweet & sour type of recipe done in a dutch oven.It called for browning the meat first then putting in a sauce made of onions, garlic, w-sauce, chili sauce, pineapple and beef broth and cooking for several hours.  I wanted to do something different so I decided instead of browning the meat, I would smoke it for a while, then put it in the sauce and cook it.  

I fired up my MES and while that was heating up, I washed, dried and rubbed the ribs.  Had some Grilling Mates Applewood rub that I had purchased earlier and wanted to try it.  Once the MES was up to 225, I dropped in some peach wood chips for smoke and put the ribs on and smoked for two hours.  Here are the ribs going into the smoker.

After the two hour smoke, I put them in a dutch oven with the sauce, cooked them for 1 hour @ 350 covered and 45 minutes uncovered.  I removed the meat from the sauce.  Here are the ribs and sauce at this point.

After taking out the ribs, I skimmed the fat from the top of the sauce, added a cornstarch thickener and cooked it until the right consistency and added the meat back to it.

I was half way through eating when I remembered I didn't have a plate pic.  Here it is, served with rice and a salad.  Man was it good.

Here it the result of the experiment.  Don't need to say any more!  Wife said I didn't need to make any changes.  That made it alright.

Thanks, guys. You're right, Smokin', got to make her happy. Actually, she is my best critic. Mike, they tasted good too (as you can see from the last pic). We only went through about half of it. Guess what's for supper tonight!

Last edited:

Look good. Try some Mojo Crillio marinade sometime. Very good on Beef short ribs. I marinate overnight, then leave a small amount in the pan. Just enough to be able to spoon over the ribs now and then. Rotate them around till done. Usually 4 to 4 1/2 will do it. Darn things have gotten expensive though.

Along with oxtails and brisket, short ribs are a favorite at my house.

Nothing like the real beef flavor coming from those tougher cuts!

Yours look nice.  Congrats!

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky