Beef short ribs - First time smoking with wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

asadero

Original poster
Sep 14, 2013
Monterrey, Mexico
So I wanted to smoke some beef ribs and found these USDA Choice beef short ribs at Costco that looked great to me. Here in Monterrey (Mexico) we have pretty good "carnicerías" (butcher shops) for carne asada, but if you want an american cut like ribs, brisket, pork butts, etc., only Costco carries a pretty good selection (that I know of anyway). So I carefully chose these four pre-cut short ribs that weighted 5.6 lbs altogether, they're pretty meaty and big. By the way I've never made beef short ribs, but after reading some threads in the forums I decided to give them a try. I trimmed some silver skin off and then addeded some olive oil to each rib, then prepared a pretty basic rub made with mostly salt and pepper, and very little garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and paprika. I'm smoking them in my Char-griller with a side fire box, and I'm using a combination of mesquite chunks and apple wood. My plan is to use the 3-2-1 method, but if anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited:
It's been about 2 hours since I put them in. The chamber's temp has been steady between 235-250°F.. Not sure about applying any kind of mopping sauce or spritzing anything at this point. There's a small water pan below them. What do you think? I'll leave them like this for another hour, then I'll place them in a foil pan, and seal it with aluminum paper. Suggestions are very welcome..

Last edited:
I think you are doing a great job.  They look pretty tasty from here.    If you wanted that BBQ flavor a little sauce wouldn't hurt.  Normally I don't like sweet sauce on beef but I love sweet sauce on ribs because of the amount of fat in them so for Beef Ribs it's kind of up in the air.

alblancher alblancher Thanks! I just put them in a foil pan covered with aluminum foil, about 15 mins ago. I didn't add anything to them, but now that you mention the sauce, I think I might pour a bit on them for that BBQ which I really like, plus to help them keep moist.

These ribs are about to be ready. They've been cooking for about six hours now. I'm wondering if I should let them rest and for how long. Any experts out there who'd like to give me their advice about this? Thanks!

Those are stunning looking beef ribs. I would love to have one of those. Terrific smoke.

Disco

disco disco Well thank you sir! I made them using a lot of helpful information from folks in this amazing forum. I really liked the mesquite and apple wood smoke flavor. I'm not sure if this is a good combination for beef, but it is what I was able to find here in Mexico, so I used them. My wife thought this was some of the best bbq I've made, and I was pretty happy with the outcome too.

Those look great man! 
32.gif
  You'd have trouble keeping me away from them 
biggrin.gif
  Nice job 
thumb1.gif

Very nice looking ribs.Where did you import that beef from? Every cow I have seen in Mexico didnt have any meat on their rib cage hahahahahahahaha

Dan 

Don't be afraid to back off on you time some. To me, 3-2-1 is too long for beef. I don't care for well done steak so tend to do a 2- 1.5- 1 for beef ribs but time may vary a bit depending on how meaty they are. Also, you should be able to find Mojo Crillio down there. A great marinade for beef.

Last edited:
Just pure personal preference but I'm with Flash I like my steak on the more rare side. So to me, I find Flash's last picture to be more my style. But different strokes for different folks and Bravo to you both!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky