Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cardsfan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Denver, CO
Picked up a rack at Costco. Simple rib of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and onion. Smoke at 250 for about 5 hours until probe tender (about 196 IT) WOW!
20230401_113740.jpg
20230401_171342.jpg
20230401_180654.jpg

Those look great. Good job.
I love beef back ribs. And those got a lot meat.
5 hours sounds about right. I usually grill over wood at 300F for 2 hours, then sear over high heat, wrap and rest.

That looks awesome and I'm sure tasted even better. Nice job

Reactions: cardsfan
They look real good from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: cardsfan
Lots of meat for back ribs. And that meat is ribeye. That had to be delicious. Curious, what did that cost per pound ?

I don't know of a butcher who will cut them like that, they want to sell whole ribeye instead of ribs.

Lots of meat for back ribs. And that meat is ribeye. That had to be delicious. ...
Yeah - can we talk about this? I know that's a ribeye bone, but if I was gonna cook ribeye, I'd cook it to 130-135. But that's all wrong - nobody does that for back ribs. Only thing I can figure is the muscle between those ribeye bones are completely different than the muscles in a ribeye steak. If you look at steak, the muscle between the bones are separated by a line of fat which seems to indicate a fourth muscle at and near and between the bones. And it must be different than the three muscles that we love to eat in a ribeye steak. Therefore, it apparently needs to be cooked more like a short rib muscle. Correct? Comments?

Reactions: negolien
Nice cook! I'm loving that Costco is now stocking the full rack in my area as well.

Mark, I do these all the time and I personally believe they need a higher cook temp to render the collagen and fat that is very high around the bone. I cook a rack at least once every other week, I do them @ 265 for 3 hours day in day out.... this last time I did tent with foil and rest for 45 min at 145 and that may be the icing..... will need a 1/2 dozen more cooks to see though!
Yeah - can we talk about this? I know that's a ribeye bone, but if I was gonna cook ribeye, I'd cook it to 130-135. But that's all wrong - nobody does that for back ribs. Only thing I can figure is the muscle between those ribeye bones are completely different than the muscles in a ribeye steak. If you look at steak, the muscle between the bones are separated by a line of fat which seems to indicate a fourth muscle at and near and between the bones. And it must be different than the three muscles that we love to eat in a ribeye steak. Therefore, it apparently needs to be cooked more like a short rib muscle. Correct? Comments?

Last edited:
Lots of meat for back ribs. And that meat is ribeye. That had to be delicious. Curious, what did that cost per pound ?

I don't know of a butcher who will cut them like that, they want to sell whole ribeye instead of ribs.
I don't recall exactly, but I want to say that rack was 26 bucks...

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky