Beef ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KingDaD37

Original poster
May 27, 2019
cincinnati
I have ordered beef plate ribs from multiple different butchers here in Cincinnati. And I guess I’m ordering the wrong thing. It’s mainly just fat. What should I tell the butcher so get a nice meaty rib. Thanks

Tell them you want whole racks of beef short ribs.
That you want the whole racks that he cuts into smaller sections for Korean Kalbi style short ribs.
Or more specifically, Flanken, English or Boneless short ribs.

A professional butcher that really knows his trade will know exactly what you want if you tell him to order by NAMPS /IMPS order numbers.
Beef Plate, Short Ribs, 123 or 123A
Or
Beef Chuck, Short Ribs, 130

What should I tell the butcher
Chile has you covered . Use that info .
I just want to add , don't be afraid to say " No , I don't want that " .
A full service meat counter should cater to you .
Use the numbers Chile gave you , but still makes sure it's a good cut .

Reactions: chilerelleno
What I normally do is look at what is for sale in the displays, if they have short ribs cut into the smaller sections in any form I find the clerk/butcher and I ask him for the whole racks still in the cryo-vac bag.
A cryo-vac bag contains two racks.

And be sure to say "Thank You" for him taking the time to help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
Impeccable advice!

But I'm really curious now what you were asking for and what you got before that's so fatty?

Well that's kind of my point Chile... I don't consider the back ribs are fattier than the shorts. In fact the back ribs are typically the most anorexic of them all! He said he asked for "Plate" ribs... How many bones did they have in them? Were they flat bones or more round? Pictures would defiantly clear things up.

Well that's just kind of my point too Erik.

I look at a rack of Shiners and 75% of what I see is bones and fatty connective tissue with an afterthought of meat in-between.

I look at a rack of Shorts and what I see is 75% meat beautifully layered and marbled with fat atop a few bones.

If they were women...
Shiners would be slightly overweight, everything sagging, zero muscle tone.
Shorts would be the woman with awesome curves, just enough cushion for pushing and muscles for rearranging the furniture without my help.

Last edited:
That’s for the help
Guys. I ended up with this cut. I trimmed it up and it’s a lot better than what I had the last couple of times

Attachments

• 7A05044B-4428-46CE-8849-24109865363A.jpeg
    7A05044B-4428-46CE-8849-24109865363A.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: chilerelleno
Impeccable advice!

But I'm really curious now what you were asking for and what you got before that's so fatty?
I asked for beef plate ribs but they must have gave me ribs 5-8 or something. The ones I got today where the first 4 the pic of what I ended up with is on the bottom of this thread. Can’t wait to fire up the Lang tomorrow

Those are some mighty righteous looking ribs. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: KingDaD37
Just ordered a 30 lbs case of the chuck ribs @ $3.99 / lbs. at my local Amish butchers. Your info was very helpful as I was concerned based on the price what he was selling. He confirmed the chuck ribs above by that code. Pretty pumped to get them next week and finally smoke some beef ribs. Thanks Chili! For those of you in my area of Ohio Newswanger Meats in Shiloh is where you can order these. Prices are great on most meats there, especially by the case.
Tell them you want whole racks of beef short ribs.
That you want the whole racks that he cuts into smaller sections for Korean Kalbi style short ribs.
Or more specifically, Flanken, English or Boneless short ribs.

A professional butcher that really knows his trade will know exactly what you want if you tell him to order by NAMPS /IMPS order numbers.
Beef Plate, Short Ribs, 123 or 123A
Or
Beef Chuck, Short Ribs, 130

Last edited:
My goodness why haven't I read this thread before now. Great info and those are some awesome looking ribs KingDaD37 KingDaD37 . That's what I've been trying to find - anyone want to bet I'll find me some proper short ribs now? We love the shiners but I can't wait to cook real short ribs :emoji_wink:

chilerelleno chilerelleno Thanks for the info.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky