Beef Ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

horkeyrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Heflin, Alabama
A while back I bought a whole bone-in ribeye. I had the butcher de-bone the steaks and leave the ribs in a nice slab for slow cooking. I have a rub I want to try but here's my question, I need some advice on time and temperature. I've never done beef before but have smoked lots of pork, (bacon, ham) chicken and fish.

Anyway, please weigh in on cooking time, temp, and internal temperature.

Thanks

Reactions: laziebun
Did beef ribs for the first time past summer and family said do NOT change a thing. Similar to Richie and. SPG overnight rest, 275F, oak, to 200F IT.

PS - Save bones for soup or stock.

I smoked mine at 225 for about 3 hours then put in pan with some beef broth (not to much broth) put in house oven for 3 hours at 275. They were fall off the bone yes I did rub tony's rub.

Warren

I smoke them the same way I smoke a brisket flat. Straight on the grate until about 165*, then into a disposable pan sitting on a rack with some type of broth/soup until 195* and finally back on the grate to set.

Chris

Okay, first let me say thank's to everyone for the advice and such, you gave me enough info so I wouldn't ruin some good meat. Second, let me say that my ribs turned out fabulous, I can't wait to do them again. It's like steak on a stick.

Thank's again.

Reactions: phatbac
Okay, first let me say thank's to everyone for the advice and such, you gave me enough info so I wouldn't ruin some good meat. Second, let me say that my ribs turned out fabulous, I can't wait to do them again. It's like steak on a stick.

Thank's again.
Pics or it never happened LOL
Richie
Come on show them off

I'm doing some on Friday - they are thawing today and I will season them on Thursday and let them sit overnight in the fridge before I smoke them.

Did you only use rub or did you use anything like apple cider vinegar so they'd tenderize and/or mustard to keep the rub on the meat?

I'm doing some on Friday - they are thawing today and I will season them on Thursday and let them sit overnight in the fridge before I smoke them.

Did you only use rub or did you use anything like apple cider vinegar so they'd tenderize and/or mustard to keep the rub on the meat?
I only used a rub and cooked them very slow. What helped me most I think was that they were ribs from a ribeye. What could be better meat?

IMO no need for mustard to hold the rub, just think of them like you're seasoning a steak. One thing I would suggest is go a little easy on the salt. Most beef back ribs don't have that much meat on them and I've found I tend to use too much. Go wild with the pepper ;) Naked in the smoke is fine or after they hit ~160°F you can pan and braise them with some beef stock and/or red wine, optionally adding in a coarse chopped onion, carrot and celery rib for some nice jus.

Reactions: horkeyrider
I'm going to just season them using Fox Bros BBQ Rub (pic is attached) and stick them in the fridge overnight. I've decided to smoke them on my new Camp Chef SE Pellet Grill instead of my Smoke Hollow smoker. I'm planning to smoke them until they reach around 165 then put them in a disposable pan with some beef broth until they hit around 195. I'm thinking about 6 hours of cook time and maybe 30 minutes to an hour to rest. I'll start 'em around 11 and have them done in time for dinner

Attachments

• foxbors.png
    foxbors.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky