Beef Ribs - Galbi (Korean cut) smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rare2medium

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
SouthEast PA
I've smoked beef ribs before but for the first time in BJ's I saw this different cut of beef ribs that I have not seen before so I thought I would buy and try them out in the smoker. After buying them I searched the Internet and found them to be Korean style cut across and along the bone and each "strip" would include several small sections of rib bones. Sounded different and interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. 

I put 6 of these beef rib strips on a wire rack above a foil pan to catch the drippings but still allow smoke to get to top and bottom. Dusted about equal amounts of SPOG (salt,pepper,onion,garlic) powder on both sides. Fired up the MES, set it at 230 and opted for Cherry wood for smoking. Being uncharted territory with beef ribs cut like this and this thin I took them out of the smoker after 4 hours and put them in a pyrex dish with some fruit based (peach) BBQ glaze on the ribs, a bit of water in the bottom, covered and baked them in a regular oven for 40 min or so.

The came out pretty good. Tricia actually like them better than the regular cut of ribs as they were easier to trim off the bone and eat, and thought they looked better presentation-wise on the plate.  Interesting variation from the normal beef ribs we normally buy. I'd probably buy these again.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Dang it, Rare, now you've done it!  You've got my mouth watering!

I've only seen those once at the Auburn, NY BJ's and as it was a small package I suspect they were leftover from a custom order.

As I understand it those are basically Korean street food usually served on a stick and grilled over high heat.  I was introduced to them by another First Sergeant at Fort Drum close to 20 years ago.  They are usually found in commissary  (military grocery store) meat cases and they'll cut large batches to order. We live over two hours from the nearest commissary so when I go I call ahead and order as much as 30 pounds of them to repack and freeze.  I haven't been there in a few years though so you've got me thinking that a road trip is overdue.....

We usually prepare them with a Teriyaki marinade or my wife's version of Montreal Steak seasoning.  With all that marbling the really rock on a hot grill or screaming hot cast iron pan.  They get a great crust either way and are juicy enough to make you keep a heap of napkins or a roll of paper towels handy.  I've never smoked them but maybe the next thing to try would be to hit them with cool smoke to add some flavor and then finish them on the grill or pan to get the crust?

Thanks for the memories.

Lance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky