Beef plate ribs - Advice please...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
My brother wanted me to make up a batch of beef plate ribs on my smoker. I am quite excited to give them a try as I have never done beef plate ribs before.

I have 4 slabs of about 2.5 pounds each and I want to try them with some differing flavor profiles.

1) Jeff's Texas rub'
2) Za'atar
3) Herbs de Province
4) Harry Soo's Moolah Beef Rub

Smoked all with Cherry wood. I think that will play nice with each flavor profile.

I am also planning on doing one or two racks of pork back ribs at the same time.

Seeing that I have never done beef plate ribs before, I could use some advice on how they cook.

Will I need 12 hours like a brisket or shoulder or 5 hours like I do for pork ribs?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

JC :emoji_cat:

I treat them like a brisket, they don't take that long to cook
Richie

"4 slabs at 2.5lbs each"
Do you mean 4 individual cut ribs, or 4 racks?
Racks of Plates are typically 3 bones, sometimes 2 bones.
3 bone racks average 5-7lbs.
Plate's bones are flat in cross section.

So I'm curious what you have.

I prefer to cook mine at 275°-300°, with no wrap.
They are usually tender and well rendered at 205° -210°.
A full rack typically takes approximately 5.5 - 7 hours.

Beef Chuck ribs are a little different.

Last edited:
The Rubs you are looking at sound good. Plate Ribs cook more like Pork Ribs, just a bit longer. If going 225, 7-8 hours. Higher temp, faster cook. Whatever you decide, put the Beef in 2-3 hours ahead of your Pork. Like Brisket, Plate Ribs do well with a Foil/Cooler Rest...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
It takes me 8 hours on my Lang which tends to cook quickly relative to other cookers I've used.

Beef Chuck rib are typically 4 bones and average 4-5lbs per rack.
Chuck's bones are rounder in cross section and shorter than Plates.
Very noticeable difference.
Check this out to see what I mean,

What tropics tropics shows are Beef Chuck ribs.

I cook Chuck ribs same as Plate ribs, they just don't ain't quite as long, 4.5-6 hours.

Last edited:
"4 slabs at 2.5lbs each"
Do you mean 4 individual cut ribs, or 4 racks?
Racks of Plates are typically 3 bones, sometimes 2 bones.
3 bone racks average 5-7lbs.
Plates bones are flat in cross section.

So I'm curious what you have.

I prefer to cook mine at 275°-300°, with no wrap.
They are usually tender and we'll rendered at 205° -210°.
A full rack typically takes approximately 5.5 - 7 hours.

Beef Chuck ribs are a little different.

I haven't picked them up yet but by what the description sounds like, they are 3 bones each. 2.5 pounds per slab and 4 slabs in the box.

Weight is approx 10 lbs for the box.

I have only done beef ribs once before and they were shiners. :emoji_laughing:

This is my first shot at plate ribs and I don't want to mess up the cook.

Beef Chuck rib are typically 4 bones and average 4-5lbs per rack.
Chuck's bones are rounder in cross section and shorter than Plates.
Very noticeable difference.
Check this out to see what I mean,

What tropics tropics shows are Beef Chuck ribs.

I cook Chuck ribs same as Plate ribs, they just don't ain't quite as long, 4.5-6 hours.
I only go by what is on the package
Richie

Your choice of wood sounds good to me, I like cherry on just about anything.
Hickory, Oak and Mesquite would be great options too.

Rubs all sound good to me.
The only thing I look out for with Herbs de Provence is that it has no Lavender.
I despise the taste of lavender.
Coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper is a dang good option too.

Last edited:
JC, Best advice with Beef Ribs...Don't Panic! Like a Pork Butt, the only way to mess them up is, Under Cooking...JJ

MG_0675-e1441736647147-1024x327.jpg

Plates vs Chucks

You may have racks that have been cut short, as in cut in half crosswise.

Last edited:
View attachment 472138
Plate's vs Chucks

You may have racks that have been cut short, as in cut in half crosswise.

Man, seeing those next to each other really hits home how different they are. I hadn't realized the chuck ribs are that much smaller. Sucks that all I can get my hands on in my area is the smaller chuck ribs, at Costco. I would LOVE to try smoking some true dino ribs on the offset.

Man, seeing those next to each other really hits home how different they are. I hadn't realized the chuck ribs are that much smaller. Sucks that all I can get my hands on in my area is the smaller chuck ribs, at Costco. I would LOVE to try smoking some true dino ribs on the offset.
You and I both.
I've only managed to get ahold of Plates twice now.
Both times from Sam's Club by asking for unopened cryovac bags of racks.

Like I keep saying, the best way to do it is to keep your eyes open for packs of Korean cut / Flanken cut beef ribs.
When you see them, ask the butcher for uncut, unopened packs of beef ribs.
They come two racks per cryovac bag, you'll immediately notice the difference in size between Plates and Chucks.
Be prepared to open the wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin james
You and I both.
I've only managed to get ahold of Plates twice now.
Both times from Sam's Club by asking for unopened cryovac bags of racks.

Like I keep saying, the best way to do it is to keep your eyes open for packs of Korean cut / Flanken cut beef ribs.
When you see them, ask the butcher for uncut, unopened packs of beef ribs.
They come two racks per cryovac bag, you'll immediately notice the difference in size between Plates and Chucks.
Be prepared to open the wallet.

Around here they Flanken cut the chucks, I've yet to see any plates sadly. Always on the hunt though, and its not like chucks are bad or anything!

Around here they Flanken cut the chucks, I've yet to see any plates sadly. Always on the hunt though, and its not like chucks are bad or anything!

I ordered mine through GFS. I can het many items from GFS that I can't normally get in stores.

Reactions: Teal101
I don’t know where you are located, but WildForkFoods has Dino ribs at a very reasonable price. We get free overnight shipping here in Florida. Just google them.
Al

I don’t know where you are located, but WildForkFoods has Dino ribs at a very reasonable price. We get free overnight shipping here in Florida. Just google them.
Al

I am in Wisconsin. I was able to get fresh USDA Choice beef plate ribs from GFS here in Green Bay.

Finding meat around here is usually fairly easy. I am glad for that.

Thanks,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky