Beef-N-Bean Burritos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Sorta my moms and mine combined.

My mom was mexican Rodriguez. She was born in Brownsville TX. Her family moved to Lubbock. She grew up eating all mexican food.
Most of their meat was pork or chicken because they needed less space, she told me that when they did get any beef it was a treat as she had 4 brother and 2 sisters.

Over the years they moved to Calif where the cooking got more americanized and they would use beef and game meats.

Here is pretty close to how she made burritos for us.

Ground beef.
Drain the fat but what grease is left in the pan go ahead and leave it.
IMG_4548.JPG

Now you need to season. I use homemade burrito season.
Sprinkle, stir then sprinkle again. If you need any liquid add 3/4 cup stock or water.
IMG_4549.JPG

For the veg i use pico de gallo 1 cup. If you make it thats fine too. Same as above, little at a time, fold in.
IMG_4550.JPG

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins. If it starts to get dry add more liquid (small amounts) and fold in.
IMG_4551.JPG

Now for one of the secret items. Again if you want to make fresh go ahead.
Fold this in at a low simmer.
IMG_4552.JPG

Ok now for the frijoles refritos.
My mom normally used homemade but when she didnt have any she went for Rosarita brand.
Back then the frijoles refritos had lard in it. Now?
IMG_4553.JPG

She told me never just dump the frijoles refritos in, add in small amounts and fold in.
Keep the low simmer going.
IMG_4554.JPG

If liquid is needed add small amounts and fold.
IMG_4556.JPG

You can see how the mix got thicker. Continue to low simmer for 15 mins.
IMG_4557.JPG

You can add anything to this as far as dry mix or wet.

Cover and let stand for 45 mins or make a burro right away. Better the next day.
IMG_4558.JPG

I use Mission large burritos flour tortillas. Add some grated cheese. Wrap in clear wrap and put them in a freezer zip lock and they will be good for 6-8 months.

My dry mix for burritos.

2 T ground cumin
1 1/2 T paprika (you can use smoked also)
1 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1/2 t mexican dried oregano
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/4 t cayenne
1 t dehydrated onions (opt)

la preferida still has lard in it

i like la banderita tortillas and would wait til the end to fold in pico (maybe add extra onions and tomatoes to the recipe to keep that step). Some of these and pasillas instead of preground paprika
dearbols.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky