Beef from a Dairy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Evening all,

I buy my milk, butter, cream from local dairy. The other day when I was in there he told me he had some fresh frozen T-bones for sale. Man, they are huge! So, I'm cooking them up right now and I noticed a smell. Not a bad smell, but like just after you mow the grass. Anybody had experience with this? I'm freaking out a little because I gots me a man friend coming fo suppa, and I don't want to feed him something that tastes like grass! LOL! I'm too skeered to taste it! Looks like I might be feeding him leftovers.
icon_cry.gif
 Dang, I was hoping to get lucky. LOL! Just kiddin'. Not really.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hmmm Beef from a dairy???

Let's review:

Dairy---Milk,

Milk---Cow,

Milk Cow---no longer producing,

20 year average life span of milk cow,

Could be a little tough.

Tell man friend to bring his sharpest set of teeth!

Hey squirrel---Just kidding---I hope!

Bear

Yea Bear, I thought of that so I marinated them. I did just try a bite and actually it's surprisingly tender. It does have a little different flavor but not a bad flavor at all. I'm making fajitas with it so it will be mixed in with lots of other stuff. I would not have made this if I had remembered my "date".

I must confess. I completely forgot my man friend was coming for dinner. We planned this a couple of weeks ago and he is flying in town tonite. Thank goodness he called to let me know he'd be here at 8:00. Otherwise, he'd a caught me in my sweats and a t-shirt, sprawled out on the sofa mowing through some leftover fried rice. I think I was looking through a Cabela's catalog while we were on the phone so I was hearing "blah blah blah blah" .

LOL meateater! Oh worry not, it's an open bar! I'll fix him a stiff drink before dinner.

Bad Bear. Bad, bad Bear.

It was fine, the meat was tender, and the food overall was good. But I can't get past that "grassy" smell. This morning when I walked out of my bedroom the smell hit me and reminded me of dirty socks. Ewwww.... better than dirty underwear I suppose, but I'm guessing it's just not for me. Hey, you know me, I'll try just about anything. My friend had to leave fairly early and couldn't drink because he was flying. Oh well, maybe next time.

a3287fca_nutsquirrel2.jpg

After dairy cows have been milked they are sold and mostly ground into hamburger. Males more than likely made into steers are fed, many sold as veal calves. The meat is Ok for hamburger. Dairy cows don't have as much meat in prime cuts. like (loin and rump) as beef cows because there purpose is to milk. Older beef cows are used mostly for hambuger as well. Most young cattle are finished on a growing and later a grain ration to promote taste and tenderness that older animals lose the ability to be prime beef as they get older.

Thanks dairyman! I'll stick with the fresh milk. Man, I could not imagine having to go back to regular old store bought milk. At my local dairy their whole milk has a little cream on top. I get the 2% for me to drink, I could easily drink half gallon a day. The whole milk makes the best cheese. I think a glass is calling my name.....

Thanks dairyman! I'll stick with the fresh milk. Man, I could not imagine having to go back to regular old store bought milk. At my local dairy their whole milk has a little cream on top. I get the 2% for me to drink, I could easily drink half gallon a day. The whole milk makes the best cheese. I think a glass is calling my name.....
I couldn't agree more with ya..  We get dairy fresh milk.  Less than 24hours from the cow to our house.   We have been getting it that way for many years now.  It drives me crazy when we go out or go out of town because the milk tastes like.   ummm  well just say more like the southbound end of the northbound steer. 

Grass fed beef will sometimes have a grassy smell to it.  Seems to be worse the older a cow or steer gets.  However, I have had the best tasting meat ever from a 3 year old milk cow.  Mike

Squirrely,

Did that Cow you got the meat from show signs of saddle sores, or scratches from spurs?

icon_cool.gif

It all sounds good to me. But a grass smelling t-bone I'm not sure if I'd go there but you never know. I did notice that there's no Q-view so did it happen or did it not happen????That is the question to be answered.

Ms. Squirrel,

I bet you could make Cow Poo Poo look good.

Is the man worthy of dinner?

What are his credentials?

TJ

Hey Cheryl I think you should have milked that Tbone first
f2f04c7a_noidea1.gif

You guys are nuts. You call me crazy?? Well just look at the company I keep!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Papa Bear - I've got your saddle sores for ya

4b4072e3_CowboySquirrelJpeg.jpg

Mark - I will not take pics of a smelly piece of meat, no matter how cute he is.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Todd - or should I be calling you "daddy Todd" his "credentials" are he's hot, and he loves my cooking.

meateater - I am thinking cow patties have a whole new meaning.

Scarbelly - I tried. Oh how I tried.
icon_redface.gif

You guys rock!!!!!!

I learned my lesson!!!!!

No more dairy cow for me!!!!!

Love you looonnnnnnggggg time!!!!

Edit: Okay I just got a good look at the picture above, looks like the squirrel has a little "camel toe" action going on. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Squirrely,

Did that Cow you got the meat from show signs of saddle sores, or scratches from spurs?

I would guess it might have spur marks but I hear she rides bareback and doesn't use a saddle either

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky