beef& butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I am going to do a butt for my grandson and great grandson's birthday and I would like to do a small beef roast at the same time. I have a WSM 18" and I think I have room on the top rack for both pieces of meat'

I usually smoke a butt at 275 degrees and I was wondering about how long it would take to get the beef roast to a medium rare. I no longer have a remote temp sensor and I don't want to take the lid off anymore than necessary to check temp. Will probably do a 3 or 4 lb. beef roast.

All help and suggestions appreciated, Pete

Reactions: JLeonard
Without a thermometer to probe the meat it’s a crap shoot. Good luck.
I have an instant read thermometer. I just didn't want to take the lid off until necessary. Not sure how doing two meats will affect the time.

I just ordered a remote probe so I should be fine. I hadn't bought a remote unit earlier because I couldn't find what I wanted. I hope it woks out ok.

Beef roast is subjective to what cut it is . My opinion is if it's a lean cut like eye round it will reach medium rare in around an hour and a half at that temp. If it's a fatty cut and you're going for pulled you should go by how tender it probes .

Just re read your first post . Sorry I missed that the first time . At that weight and medium rare I would start checking it after an hour .

I’d start checking after an hour. just pop the dome off real quick after one hour and maybe like 15 minutes later to see how fast it’s climbing to give you an idea. If your running at 275 it should heat back up pretty quick. And pork butts aren’t too demanding. Shouldn’t really affect the finished time. The real question is how are you going to monitor the pork butt temp?

I just ordered a remote monitoring unit with four probes so I should be able keep an eye on things.

I will probably wait until the butt is about 190 and put the roast on.

Thanks for all the responses, Pete

Reactions: chopsaw
I smoked a 3lb bone-in rump roast at 250-275 for 1.25 to 1.5 hours to IT of 110F, then rested and reverse seared to give medium rare roast beef. If not doing reverse sear, then a little longer. I'll take smoked roast beef over butt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky