Beef Brisket Bacon Experiment: Success!! (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I've wanted to try making beef bacon for a long time but can't seem to find the bellies. I contacted several places online as well as a couple of local ranches that process their own beef. Nothing, nada, not a single response. On a whim I decided I'd give it a shot using an 18# CPB whole packer brisket. Defrosted it then trimmed off the major fat and cut it down to the approximate size of a pork belly. From there I cut the slab into two pieces, calculated my cure for both, and mixed it all up. The larger of the pieces was an additional experiment. It was cured using celery powder that was gifted to me by our very good friend smokin peachey smokin peachey Never used it before. The smaller of the pieces was cured with Cure #1. Both had the prescribed amount of sugar and salt in the cure. Both slabs were seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub. Being that the rub has a considerable amount of salt in it I backed off with the calculated salt in the cure by a couple of grams.

Heavy fat and a good chunk of the point cut off.
016.jpg

The two slabs and 5# of trimmings that were ground the next day....for something that I'll do later
017.jpg

Cure and seasonings applied then into vac seal bags. Burp the air out but I don't vacuum them.
001.jpg

After a two week soak in the cure, rinsed, and ready for round 2 of seasonings.
003.jpg

Seasonings applied for the second time. Now into the fridge for an overnight rest.
004.jpg

The next day they go on the Rec Tec for 6 hours of low temp / extreme smoke
006.jpg

When they come off the smoker it's back into the fridge overnight uncovered. Here is the larger of the two slabs just before slicing. I'm really liking the color on this.
007.jpg

All sliced. The 3 stacks on the left were more from the point and cured with the celery powder. The 3 stacks on the right were more from the flat and done with Cure #1. I hit a big vein of fat so stopped slicing.
008.jpg

As you can see the CPB briskets are pretty lean. My first thought when I started slicing was that it looks just like pastrami....then it dawned on me. Pastrami is cured beef brisket and so is the bacon. Stands to reason they will look very similar. The huge difference is in the flavor of course. You still have the deep beefy flavor but none of the "sweetness" that you get with pastrami and the texture is very similar. The flavor of the rub was perfect to go with the beef. This stuff has an outstanding flavor. You just have to get past the thought of pork belly bacon. It's totally different but really good. I can see all sorts of fun stuff to do with this. Rubens, BBBLT's, bacon cheese burgers, and the list goes on. It was a crap shoot but came out well.I'll be keeping this on hand at all times.

Thanks for looking and I'll see y'all on the next "Tales From the Crypt" :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Forgot to mention this. There is a noticeable difference in flavor between the celery powder and the Cure #1. With the celery powder the flavors are much more pronounced, clearly defined, and noticeable than with the Cure #1. That may well be my go-to cure now. I really like it!!

Robert

You got my mailing address Robert.....! J/K. That looks excellent! I've had beef bacon before. But I bet this is amazing with Jeff's rub on it.

Forgot to mention this. There is a noticeable difference in flavor between the celery powder and the Cure #1. With the celery powder the flavors are much more pronounced, clearly defined, and noticeable than with the Cure #1. That may well be my go-to cure now. I really like it!!

Robert

Do you use the same amount of celery powder as you do cure #1?

That looks excellent! I've had beef bacon before. But I bet this is amazing with Jeff's rub on it.

Thanks Steve. Took a few bites to get my brain wrapped around it being totally different than pork ut it sure is good!!

Do you use the same amount of celery powder as you do cure #1?

With the celery powder it says to use a multiplier of X .0025 for ground meat and between .0025 and .005 for muscle meat. I picked one in the middle and calculated at X .0035. I also weighed in grams so the calculations would be far more accurate.

Robert.

Reactions: jcam222 and Steve H
That looks good Robert. It's on my bucket list

Thank you Jake. You might want to take a look around and see if you can find beef bellies. This worked well but I still want to get a belly and see how that comes out.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222 and Steve H
Celery juice powder is not all equal like cure #1. You must follow the label.

Thank you for chiming in here. As much as I've used the Cure #1 I honestly do not know the ratios. For bacon I just use the cure calculator. For sausage I just measure it with a teaspoon. Notice that I did not do a comparison between the Cure #1 and celery juice powder? :emoji_wink: That's because I did not know for sure. As you stated, follow the directions, which is exactly what I did and it came out perfectly. I actually did a lot of reading and research on that stuff before starting this project being that I'd never used it before. I will say though, using it as Daniel notes, it is some darned good stuff!!

Robert

Reactions: smokin peachey
Thats some fine looking bacon! Cant wait to see some of it used in some of your cooks! Endless possibilities!

Thanks! I'm thinking about trying that on a batch of bacon. After looking all over. I found about 20 pounds.
I’ve done a lot of bacon with it. It turns out really good. I usually do 1.75% salt and 2-2.5% Nova maple sugar and the celery juice powder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve H

Robert
Glad to hear you like the celery juice powder

That's some great looking bacon Robert! It's some great tasting stuff! We usually fry ours in lard and that works real well.

Ryan

That looks fantastic Robert! I’ll have to try celery powder cure sometime. I’ve bought hot dogs cured with it before and they were tasty.

Geez, I was responding to this hours ago and my wifi died, garbage! I've never had BB this looks looks absolutely phenomenal Robert, big Like! I bet that'd be great for a Ruben sanny, or with a few eggs for breakfast! Nice piece of work amigo! RAY

Your beef bacon looks awesome Robert! I never had it before or ever really heard of it. It looks like you’re going to have some interesting dishes added to the rotation!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky