Beef Breasola...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I started these to cure during the site shutdown. They are done curing and ready to be moved to the chamber.

trimmed ready to cure for about 10-14 days..
IMG_20210403_125300.jpg

rinsed with red wine and then salt, cure #2, CBP, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf rubbed in..

Done curing, towel dried
IMG_20210415_104507.jpg

Wrapped in collagen sheet
IMG_20210415_104625.jpg

IMG_20210415_104751.jpg

and in netting and pricked...
IMG_20210415_110637.jpg

weighed, tagged and inda chamber...
IMG_20210415_114744.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is quite the sausage/salami collection! Nice curing chamber. What is that beef, eye of round?
Thanks Waterrat...It's rump roast that I trimmed into 2 round pieces. Rump roast went on sale for $1.88/# here back in December so I bought 4 whole roasts. I used one for the breasola...made a big beef stew with the trim.

Thanks Waterrat...It's rump roast that I trimmed into 2 round pieces. Rump roast went on sale for $1.88/# here back in December so I bought 4 whole roasts. I used one for the breasola...made a big beef stew with the trim.

Ahh. That makes sense. I though eye from the shape, but it seemed to have too much fat... I really need to get a small chest freezer so I can stock up when deals like that come along.

I have 4 freezers....plus another I use for my curing chamber. Is it possible to have too much meat??? LOL!!!!!
Too much meat?!? No! I do have a space issue though - but enough for a for a freezer. It's also just the GF and I so I don't need or want a huge stockpile, things tend to go into the freezer and never return without great effort...

Too much meat?!? No! I do have a space issue though - but enough for a for a freezer. It's also just the GF and I so I don't need or want a huge stockpile, things tend to go into the freezer and never return without great effort...
I have four freezers and I occasionally find things in there that I haven't seen in years.

I have four freezers and I occasionally find things in there that I haven't seen in years.
Mine are semi organized...1 freezer is all deer/pronghorn meat. Another is 1/2 fish, shrimp, oysters, frog legs and crawfish.....and store bought stuff like frozen veggies and pie crusts, etc.... Couple frozen turkey breasts too...I'll smoke those with all the wild turkey breasts after the season is over.
3rd freezer is Wild turkey, Ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse, and sausages....lots and lots of sausages....both smoked and fresh. 4th freezer I was given by my friend. It has wild hog, the domestic hog I butchered, 3 whole rump roasts, 2 packer briskets, 4 baby back ribs, smoked roast beef, smoked pastrami, 15# heritage pork fat for salami.

I've got a question about the collagen sheets you used. I've currently been drying using the Umai dry bags, but they changed their quantities from 5 bags per unit to 3 bags per unit for the same price so I'm looking for alternatives. How does the collagen sheet hold up in comparison to the umai dry bags?

I've got a question about the collagen sheets you used. I've currently been drying using the Umai dry bags, but they changed their quantities from 5 bags per unit to 3 bags per unit for the same price so I'm looking for alternatives. How does the collagen sheet hold up in comparison to the umai dry bags?
Apples and oranges...

umai sheets are for use in a regular refrigerator while collagen sheets are for use in a curing chamber with controlled temp. and humidity; 55*F, 80-85%RH...

Reactions: GentlemanJerk
Mine are semi organized...1 freezer is all deer/pronghorn meat. Another is 1/2 fish, shrimp, oysters, frog legs and crawfish.....and store bought stuff like frozen veggies and pie crusts, etc.... Couple frozen turkey breasts too...I'll smoke those with all the wild turkey breasts after the season is over.
3rd freezer is Wild turkey, Ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse, and sausages....lots and lots of sausages....both smoked and fresh. 4th freezer I was given by my friend. It has wild hog, the domestic hog I butchered, 3 whole rump roasts, 2 packer briskets, 4 baby back ribs, smoked roast beef, smoked pastrami, 15# heritage pork fat for salami.

That's a lot of meat! I guessing you're vacuum sealing it - at least some of it. If that is the case, what brand of V. sealer are you using? I hate my Food Saver. They should have named it "Food waster" At least 50% of the sealed meats loose their vacuum and freezer burn takes over.

Also - Pronghorn? Is that from trips out West? That seems like a perfect meat to dry cure.

I just bought a vacmaster last October....I love it! it is a work horse!

Yep-that proghorn is really good.....been feeding on alfalfa hay so no strong flavors at all.

Hey Inda - do you think an eye of round would work well with this method?

I found whole Angus Eye of Rounds on sale about 10 days ago for something like $3.50/LB. Gorgeous looking whole muscle cuts, vac. sealed. I couldn't pass on the sale, though I only got one since I'm totally out of space in my freezers. I had to go through and remove some of my early Covid supplies purchased prior to the lockdown just to make space for this beauty.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky