Bedded Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Smoked/Grilled Bedded Hens
Roasted Herb Taters
Sliced Beefsteak Tomatoes
Sauteed Shishito Peppers
Ice Cream

Two spatchcocked hens rubbed with my Chile's Chicken Rub.
Smoked at 225° for the first 1.5 hours, then grilled at 400° over beds of fresh Sage while periodically having cut lemons squeezed over them.
Finished at an IT of 165° in the breast.

I really like the subtle taste and smell of birds grilled on beds of fresh sage.
The herbs and spices of the rub, sage infusion and citrus all work together for some flavorful birds.

w1aVkJqh.jpg

vzx8Fymh.jpg

UwmL49Ih.jpg

lIELG7ch.jpg

Chile's Basic Rubs for Pork, Chicken and Brisket

Last edited:
Just a great looking pair of birds there John.

I also love a little lemon or lime on my chickens, great looking bark on them also.

BUT you are missing something....Come on you said ice cream, don't hold back on my desserts. lol

David

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks great John! Perfect finish on that chicken skin and the whole meal looks delicious. I’ll bet those peppers were tasty.

Got to the picture of the cooked birds and thought "it dont get no better than that." Then...boom! The plated pic took me over the edge. Thats a plate licking meal right there!!

Jim

Great looking birds Chili. Plated shot is exceptional.
Those griddles are really nice, but tough washing if don't have a big slop sink. Rarely use mine anymore.

Beautiful meal all around! I am always impressed (and paying great attention) to the creative ways you prepare and cook your meals. There is always the extra flavors to bring it home. Yum. Thanks for sharing your rubs, they are bookmarked along with this thread.

The girls sitting there for a suntan look great but the last shot just does it.
Looks delicious chilli
Man that a tasty meal there John. I got to try those peppers. I remember you making something else with them a while back I meant to do.
Just a great looking pair of birds there John.

I also love a little lemon or lime on my chickens, great looking bark on them also.

BUT you are missing something....Come on you said ice cream, don't hold back on my desserts. lol

David
Thanks guys, appreciate the Likes / Replies.

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma
Thread 'Shishito Chimichurri' https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/shishito-chimichurri.317174/

That looks delicious! I'm with Jim... I'm liking my plate also... not bad manners, just great food!

Ryan

Well John, you did it again. What a fantastic looking meal. As was noted above, that plated shot it out of the park. Beautiful meal my friend.

All of the above? :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Looks great John! Perfect finish on that chicken skin and the whole meal looks delicious. I’ll bet those peppers were tasty.
Got to the picture of the cooked birds and thought "it dont get no better than that." Then...boom! The plated pic took me over the edge. Thats a plate licking meal right there!!

Jim
Really y'all, too kind, thank you.

tx smoker tx smoker
I'm leaning towards the cheesesteaks.
jcam222 jcam222
Those Shishitos are one of my favorite vegetables. Very mild, you can go through a few dozen or more before finding one either any heat to it. And they're so tasty, add some salt, garlic and a squeeze of lemon... Wow, Good!
JLeonard JLeonard
Ya gonna save my wife washing a plate?:emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Great looking birds Chili. Plated shot is exceptional.
Those griddles are really nice, but tough washing if don't have a big slop sink. Rarely use mine anymore.
Beautiful meal all around! I am always impressed (and paying great attention) to the creative ways you prepare and cook your meals. There is always the extra flavors to bring it home. Yum. Thanks for sharing your rubs, they are bookmarked along with this thread.
That looks delicious! I'm with Jim... I'm liking my plate also... not bad manners, just great food!

Ryan
Again, many sincere thanks.

Winterrider Winterrider
Folding table, waterhose, salt and a scrubby.
Maybe a re-seasoning as needed.
Keep it outside, happy wife = happy life.
KimberlyO KimberlyO
Very gracious and flattering.
The best things about SMF is the feeding off each other's inspirations.

Fantastic yard birds John! The plated shot is perfect.
Outstanding looking meal John.

Point for sure
Chris
Real nice looking birds and a fine looking meal. Heck, I thought you were going to come up with something like rabbit stuffed chicken you know like turducken.

Warren
Aw schucks, thank you guys for the replies and likes.

HalfSmoked HalfSmoked
That's an idea.
But honestly they taste so much alike thst if I served them both shredded side by side in the same platter, I'd bet $20 that only 1 in 10 would notice.

But deboned saddle of rabbit rolled over boneless duck breast, stuffed with some precooked savory stuffing might be bombalicious.
Hmmmm, wild rice, onion, mushrooms and chopped walnuts sounds good.

Thank you, I now need to find some duck breasts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky