Becoming a Certified KCBS Judge - a few questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Good morning y'all.

Is anyone a certified KCBS judge? If so, what is the process, how long does it take and what is the cost?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you.

You need to sign up for a class, go to KCBS website to find out where there might be one in your area. The class is around $85 and includes a one year membership to KCBS.
They take you through the entire process of what a typical contest would be and how to judge each type of meat entry along with the rules. The whole process was probably less than 3 hours. You actually get to taste the meats and judge for yourself at the class and then you discuss why you gave the scores you did. Well worth it IMHO. I took the class with my son because we wanted to compete and met a whole bunch of great people along the way! I judge more than I cook. Both are very rewarding in themselves!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky