Bearcarver recipe - My smoke w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowboycousie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Bison KS
Here is where I'm at. Followed the recipe but I cut the TC to 1ts per lb

The question I have is the ice water bath. Do I leave the product in the water or just dunk and remove?

On to Qview

af3894f5_Pepperoni-Bearcarver002.jpg

Mixed, rolled and going into fridge

0457ed29_Pepperoni-Bearcarver003.jpg

Into the smoker

ccc5a87f_Pepperoni-Bearcarver004.jpg

Pic sucks..Starting temp 49

e1912a1d_Pepperoni-Bearcarver005.jpg

Upto 141 temp

Temp reached 165 and I put them in an ice bath until temp dropped to 100

Finished

481a26ff_001.jpg

Little ol ice bath

f24a450a_002.jpg

Ta-duh

Thanks bear for the help in sharing info.

This is the first time I have done this, Cut one for ya all to look at and well I just had to taste..Freak'n good. I have restored faith that I can do this. Not salty at all.

Last edited:
What no comments all look-key loos here. That's OK it turned out great. Still what a  wonderful site with or without imput from you all.

I'm sorry, but don't know what it is! LOL! I would trust any of Bear's recipes. Can you offer a little more info. It sure looks good!

icon_cool.gif

Thats one of the good things about this place is the sopport staff is always on-duty too. Well you should np longer doubt yourself it's all good and the food is off the hook.

It's Bearcaver Pepperoni, here's a link

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/94897/pepperoni-cured-smoked-and-qviewed  

One of the best threads I have read.

Don't get get me wrong here, I don't need a pat on the back or hand holding by any means. What I would like is some critiquing, some helpful hit as to if I am doing it right or ideas on how to improve my work.

Because it is simple, The food that I make my family and my friends eat and I don't want them to get sick or even die because of something I did.

This is very new to me and there is a vast knowledge base here..Congrats to the site for that

and

Thanks

Cowboy,

This is the first I saw this thread!

You gotta sometimes wake the Old Bear up!!!

I hate to critique a guy who uses my recipe, but You asked for it:

The only thing I can tell that you did, that I wouldn't do is cut the TQ down from 1 1/2tsp to 1tsp per pound. Looks like you got away with it, but cure should always be what it calls for--no more---no less. It looks real good, and nobody got sick, so that's what counts. You already said it tastes good.

Bear

I just did Bears Sticks, they turned out GREAT, I did skip the 2nd day in the fridge, Why the 2nd day Bear? does it mellow the spices more ?
d76a3532_Image1.jpg
Backwoods,

I like to get an early start smoking in the morning, so the first day I put the whole mix in the fridge to let the cure work good.

The second overnight is basically because it's too late to get an early start, but it also might mellow a little more too.

Then the next morning, all I have to do is unwrap them & stick them in the smoker, so I can start early.

I would think you could mix it all up in the morning. Then that same evening, roll it into your sticks, and then start smoking them the next morning.

I hope that explains it---That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.  
wink.gif

Glad you liked them,

Bear

I use skins, and the Bearcarver does not, so I can cold shower mine by placing them in a ... COLD SHOWER! No, really. Hang them on waterproof sticks, and hit 'em with the spray till the internal drops to 90* or less.  This does two things:

One: Helps reduce shrinkage

Two: Brings the meat to a reasonable temperature before I tuck it in the fridge.  

It is remarkable how much food poisoning happens due to folks putting too much warm food into the icebox. :(

I have not tried it with the skinless... if I were to, I'd likely just cover them with a single layer of saran (or foil), so as not to disturb the smoky outer layer, rack them up and hose them down.

43324faf_afafdf13_inthebathtub.jpg

My wife would have my arse if I did that. Looks pretty cool though.

I got told this weekend that "You need to get a seperate fridge for the smoking thing" I gladly said No problem

I kinda didn't tell my husband until after. ;) Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission!!

My wife would have my arse if I did that. Looks pretty cool though.

I got told this weekend that "You need to get a seperate fridge for the smoking thing" I gladly said No problem

I can throw mine in ice water for a few minutes to cool them down, without any adverse affects. Then I dry them with paper towels, because a little fat usually surfaces. Then cling wrap & into the fridge over night. Next day---Perfect.

I understand where you're coming from Scar---Woman--Shower--Big sausages----Now I gotta take a cold shower.

Oh well, at least we're getting clean.

Roller: Thank you for the nice comments.

Bear

Thats all I did, Throw 'em naked into the ice water bath, towel 'em off.  I have got more compliments that they are the best ever tasted by people so covering them to cool them would just be a wasted effort. Thanks again BearCarver.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky