Bear summer sausage question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lothar1974

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
MN
Howdy all, my brothers kid got a bear a couple days ago. They want to make summer sausage. My brother wants to use beef vs pork with the bear meat.  Wondering if there's enough fat just using beef and bear?  Any suggestions?   Thanks all!!!

Last edited:
L1974, IMHO I would remove ALL bear fat from the meat, it is nasty stuff. I would add pork/pork fat so you are getting a 75-80% meat to fat ratio.

L1974, IMHO I would remove ALL bear fat from the meat, it is nasty stuff. I would add pork/pork fat so you are getting a 75-80% meat to fat ratio.
That was my thought as well, but my brother "knows" best
icon_rolleyes.gif

I've never made bear SS before, but i HAVE made bear sausage often. I try for a 75/25 bear/pork mix. We did try once using some beef fat with the sausage mix, but it didn't have the flavor we like.

My uncle is an avid bear hunter and makes it every year. He tried beef once and it wasn't great. He does a 75/35 bear to pork ratio. As mentioned remove the bear fat.

Yeah I haven't ever heard too much in favor or beef fat over pork fat.  Will be a while before we do the bear summer sausage, guessing November or later.  Will post though!   Will be doing regular summer sausage soon, as well as snack sticks.  With post that as well.  Thanks all. 
sausage.gif

Did you try this yet? I shot a huge bear in Maine this year, and I'm gonna make some summer sausage this weekend. I know with bear, they say to make sure you bring the IT to 160. Almost all bear have trichinosis. I never take my summer sausage to 160. So I was just curious what you did and how it turned out. I think I'm gonna have a hard time getting it to 160 without fatting out. You definitely want to remove all of the bear fat you can, it's nasty!

mattisjd,

No we haven't done the sausage yet.  My brothers been too busy.  The plan is the week after Thanksgiving or the week after that.  Will post pics and etc when are making it.

Last edited:
Really Steve? I thought in the remote parts of the UK where u live they were still wild in the woods 
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately my brother said he doesn't have time to come over and make the summer sausage and will be sending it to a local butcher to make it.  So sorry guys and gals no bear summer sausage. 
th_crybaby2.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky