Bear Meat for the Bear ??? (could be offensive pictures to anti-hunters)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
It looks like I could be getting some Bear meat in my future.
Don't know what kind yet (Roast--Burger??). I'm not going to hound him.
Here are a couple pictures of a Bear my buddy just shot.
I worked with this guy for almost 20 years, and I hunted with him (Archery, Deer, Bear, & small game) many times.
I can't think of anybody I would rather see get a huge Bear than him. He really deserves it!
One shot---"06"---Chest shot---Took out both lungs.
Ran 25 yds downhill, rolled once & done.
The Bear was 535 pounds live weight, and dressed out at 453 pounds.
He shot it about 80 miles North of here.

Here he is:

Took this many guys, and a few more, to get him out of the woods!
9f5b0a5c_bear.jpg

No--No, Not the French Kiss!
1f232531_Bear3.jpg

This picture shows how really big he is:
e050210b_BEAR6.jpg

Bear

Last edited:
Those that are offended by hunting do not understand the need to keep the population in check in todays crowded world.  MMMMM Bear Roasts?

Hey Bear,

Have you cooked and eaten Black Bear yet? I'm sure the natural flavor profile matters on the geographical location where it lives and is harvested from as it does with mule deer or white-tail, but I had the opportunity to partake of some shoulder steaks from a Black Bear taken from N/W Colorado about 13 years ago which were given to me by a co-worker as well. This is a sparsley forested area of conifers (pinion, cedar, and a few spruce), with equally sparse under-growth of grasses and brushes (such as sage), no fish and few small animals for the Bear's diet. There are a few fruit-bearing plants (berries) which I'm sure the bears dine on when rippened in the fall, but the bears are mostly herbivores in that area.

The steaks I had were very rich, with a naturally sweet background. The first aromas when I opened the freezer wrap after thawing confused me, so I kept the seasoning simple and followed the KISS method...cbp, salt and garlic. As I recall, I dusted them in flour after seasoning and pan fried to med/well. Very unique eating experience for sure, not even comparible to lamb, IMHO.

If you're looking for ideas on something different, with your background, I'd bet you could whip out a few sticks of smoke wicked summer sausage. Maybe keep a small amount just to toss into the smoker or on a grill just so you can get the true flavor experience. Hmm, had I known back then what I know now, I may have even smoked and dried some cured jerky. Sheesh, now I wish I had about 50lbs to experiment with...better shut my pie-hole and go grab a turkey sandwich, 'cause I'm gettin' hungry just thinking about this...LOL!!!!

Anyway, some Bear for "the" Bear sounds like a winner to me!!!

Let us know what you get for samples and what you do with it...sounds like a great second adventure after the hunt!!!

Eric

Last edited:
Those that are offended by hunting do not understand the need to keep the population in check in todays crowded world.  MMMMM Bear Roasts?
Yeah I know, but I don't want to offend somebody. if it may bother them to look at the pics. I gave my warning.

Hey Bear,

Have you cooked and eaten Black Bear yet? I'm sure the natural flavor profile matters on the geographical location where it lives and is harvested from as it does with mule deer or white-tail, but I had the opportunity to partake of some shoulder steaks from a Black Bear taken from N/W Colorado about 13 years ago which were given to me by a co-worker as well. This is a sparsley forested area of conifers (pinion, cedar, and a few spruce), with equally sparse under-growth of grasses and brushes (such as sage), no fish and few small animals for the Bear's diet. There are a few fruit-bearing plants (berries) which I'm sure the bears dine on when rippened in the fall, but the bears are mostly herbivores in that area.

The steaks I had were very rich, with a naturally sweet background. The first aromas when I opened the freezer wrap after thawing confused me, so I kept the seasoning simple and followed the KISS method...cbp, salt and garlic. As I recall, I dusted them in flour after seasoning and pan fried to med/well. Very unique eating experience for sure, not even comparible to lamb, IMHO.

If you're looking for ideas on something different, with your background, I'd bet you could whip out a few sticks of smoke wicked summer sausage. Maybe keep a small amount just to toss into the smoker or on a grill just so you can get the true flavor experience. Hmm, had I known back then what I know now, I may have even smoked and dried some cured jerky. Sheesh, now I wish I had about 50lbs to experiment with...better shut my pie-hole and go grab a turkey sandwich, 'cause I'm gettin' hungry just thinking about this...LOL!!!!

Anyway, some Bear for "the" Bear sounds like a winner to me!!!

Let us know what you get for samples and what you do with it...sounds like a great second adventure after the hunt!!!

Eric
The PA State Game Commission cuts many food plots for our 4 legged friends. In many heavily Bear populated areas they pay farmers to leave the corn stand for the Bears to go in & gorge themselves. The regular diet of a PA Black Bear, I believe would be comprised of Corn, all kinds of berries, acorns, Dunkin Donuts (LOL), and an occasional New Jersey hunter. I was pheasant hunting one time in the Tocks Island dam area. I went into the standing corn field to help a guy look for his lost dog, and I spied a 50 gallon drum about 4 rows ahead of me. I only wondered why a drum would be in that corn field until the drum moved. 
eek.gif
 I don't remember exactly what happened next, but the next thing I knew I was no longer in that corn field. I think I might have set a new land speed record! 
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Bear

That's one big bear for sure. I love bear meat. I had always heard how greasy it was and that it smelled and didn't taste good but I shot one last year and my whole family loved it. I'd dare say that I like it better than venison.

That's one big bear for sure. I love bear meat. I had always heard how greasy it was and that it smelled and didn't taste good but I shot one last year and my whole family loved it. I'd dare say that I like it better than venison.
LOL---One of my sisters said she would never eat bear meat. So my Dad made a Bear roast. My sister didn't know it was Bear, and she said, this is really good---Where did you get this meat. My Dad looked at me, and said "Barringer's" (a butcher shop down the road from us). My sister said, "This is the best roast I ever ate!"

We told her awhile later, so she wouldn't barf the best meat she ever ate!

Bear

That's a fine looking animal and yes, bear meat is very good.  It's been said to treat it as the long-ago pork (160°) as they may contain trichinae.  Enjoy whatever you end up with.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I understand the desire to not want to offend anyone, but the name of this site is .smokingmeatforums.com.

Where would anyone think all that meat comes from? People Eating Tasty Animals?     
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

I understand the desire to not want to offend anyone, but the name of this site is .smokingmeatforums.com.

Where would anyone think all that meat comes from? People Eating Tasty Animals?     
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Congrats to him that's a good sized bear

icon_cool.gif

Now that is one big bear there Bear. Now that is one meat that I would really like to try one day.

We don't have bear around us.  We are in an urban area of central Maryland, but with enough green space around us that deer population can get to be a problem.  The state regularly licenses hunters to thin the population, either with bow & arrow in populated areas or by sharpshooters in places like the state parks.

As an illustration, here is a picture I took in the late afternoon in August out of my front door.  The crabapple tree was dropping its fruit, and the deer loved it!

c5f89793_IMG_1934.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky