Bear Jr’s Wife’s Turn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear, Nice fish!
Thank You CM!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Holy Smokes!

Since I was a kid we were catching them in the Monongahela River, but not that big. Since the steel mills have left and the rivers have cleared up, the catfish have been getting bigger and bigger. I have seen pictures of some as big as 36 to 40 inches. Isn't nature wonderful?

Congratulations,

John
Thank You John!!
We were on a Riverboat there, years ago for a Wedding Reception.
I guess I should have had my Heavy Tackle with me to do some Trolling on the Monongahela!!

Bear

Bear if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost for Jr with the guide on the Susky? I would love to do that.

Bear if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost for Jr with the guide on the Susky? I would love to do that.
Howdy clifish,
Long story:
He was going to go last year, with a different guide, but he saw him on a fishing forum, and he was a Big Time "Anti-vaxxer". Then that guy got Covid, and died.
So he found this guy, and saw him a couple times on the river. This one guy was catching Flatheads like crazy, and nobody else was catching any, so he hooked up with him for $300 for the 2 of them (Bear Jr & Bethany). That was for Noon until Dark.

Bear

Reactions: clifish
Howdy clifish,
Long story:
He was going to go last year, with a different guide, but he saw him on a fishing forum, and he was a Big Time "Anti-vaxxer". Then that guy got Covid, and died.
So he found this guy, and saw him a couple times on the river. This one guy was catching Flatheads like crazy, and nobody else was catching any, so he hooked up with him for $300 for the 2 of them (Bear Jr & Bethany). That was for Noon until Dark.

Bear
Thanks that is much cheaper than the 5 hour charters we take out of Montauk that costs $700

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. This is REALLY big deal and EVERYONE talking about it. Appears to be going viral/national.

Thanks that is much cheaper than the 5 hour charters we take out of Montauk that costs $700
Yeah, a few months ago he paid for a guide for Smallmouth Bass in the Susquehanna (farther south), and it was Bear Jr & Bethany for 5 hours (Noon to 5 for $175). They caught 62 Smallmouth Bass, and Bear Jr learned a good section of that River.
His boat doesn't have much trouble with rocks, but it's still nice to know where some of them are.

Bear

Yeah, a few months ago he paid for a guide for Smallmouth Bass in the Susquehanna (farther south), and it was Bear Jr & Bethany for 5 hours (Noon to 5 for $175). They caught 62 Smallmouth Bass, and Bear Jr learned a good section of that River.
His boat doesn't have much trouble with rocks, but it's still nice to know where some of them are.

Bear
We just sold the boat so need someone to take us out...lol

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. This is REALLY big deal and EVERYONE talking about it. Appears to be going viral/national.

I sent that YouTube about the guys getting busted to Bear Jr.
He gets on those Fishing forums. Below is his reply to me:
"Yup. Those guys won millions in the last couple years.
The funny part about it is… They would have won that tournament without cheating."

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
I sent that YouTube about the guys getting busted to Bear Jr.
He gets on those Fishing forums. Below is his reply to me:
"Yup. Those guys won millions in the last couple years.
The funny part about it is… They would have won that tournament without cheating."

Bear
Don't really follow it that close it but apparently these guys were 2x heavier than 2nd place and have been like that for some time. Rumors about it for years I guess. Surprising how much reaction there is to this. Many want these guys to do time in prison. A bit extreme to me. Banned for tourney's, return prizes, etc for sure. OMG some funny stuff tho. Local fish place has new special...

nc_ohc=KtnyNpW6bzUAX9vW0q9&_nc_ht=scontent.ftol2-1.jpg

Last edited:
That's another Nice Catty, Brian!!
I wish I could catch a few of those Beauties!!
Like.

Bear
I went to go yesterday. They closed my boat ramp for 6 months for upgrades went to try a private one from a friend of mine. Water so low there was no way and my 25+ yo jeep messed up on ramp. Lucky got home. I so need a newer truck so bad but just can't swing it now.

I went to go yesterday. They closed my boat ramp for 6 months for upgrades went to try a private one from a friend of mine. Water so low there was no way and my 25+ yo jeep messed up on ramp. Lucky got home. I so need a newer truck so bad but just can't swing it now.

Yup, Lately Bear Jr is having all kinds of fun catching Shad, Smallmouths, and now Flatheads.
My fun days are over now, but I still get to watch his successes.
If I would have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!

Bear

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
BrianGSDTexoma said:

Yup, Lately Bear Jr is having all kinds of fun catching Shad, Smallmouths, and now Flatheads.
My fun days are over now, but I still get to watch his successes.
If I would have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!

Bear

I know exactly how you feel.
When I was younger, I bought a 16' Fiber "Skeeter" Bassboat(Smoke Gray & Teal). Didn't use it much, because I found out it was a hole in the water to throw money into. I never made the money Bear Jr makes, so I now live through him. It's not the same, but I get a lot of enjoyment seeing him & his buddies catching fish like crazy, and having lots of Fun!!

Bear

Last edited:
Hey Bear this is the albino channel cat in my pond, bought it at about 4" now probably 36". Those lily pads are probably 8" across.
catfish.PNG

Hey Bear this is the albino channel cat in my pond, bought it at about 4" now probably 36". Those lily pads are probably 8" across.
View attachment 645743
Cool !!
It's nice having some special fish in your pond.
Years ago Bear Jr bought & stocked 50 Rainbow Trout (8") to add to the 20 or so various Trout he had already put in. Hand-feeding them took them all to 2' long in just a few years. We had them for a couple more years, and all of a sudden they all disappeared----No bodies or anything, just gone!!

Bear

Cool !!
It's nice having some special fish in your pond.
Years ago Bear Jr bought & stocked 50 Rainbow Trout (8") to add to the 20 or so various Trout he had already put in. Hand-feeding them took them all to 2' long in just a few years. We had them for a couple more years, and all of a sudden they all disappeared----No bodies or anything, just gone!!

Bear
Black bears or sneaky fisherman?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky