• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Be Careful

cecil

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 24, 2010

It's amazing how fast accidents can happen. Sunday after our Father's Day cookout I decided to give the WSM a cleaning. While using a stainless steel grill scrubbing pad that I got from Academy it got caught on a screw. I pulled on the pad to try to loosen it. One long strand of steel remained hung up on the screw so I gave it a hard jerk. It was like a razor. I fileted the middle finger on my right hand. My wife brought me to the emergency room at the local hospital and I came home with five stitches on the tip of my finger. So be careful, accidents can happen while doing something you have done a hundred times before. Good thing I am left handed or I might be out of luck for my Fourth of July BBQ.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
It's amazing how quickly something like that can happen!  Glad you're OK.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Wow! Never knew how dangerous BBQing was! Glad your OK.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
You just never know. I had a similar thing happen but without stitches. I've burnt myself, tripped over stuff, dropped stuff on my foot, broke my toe on a cooler while brewing, yada, yada, yada. And I'm not even clumsy. Be careful out there.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
OUCH !!!

That's one I always drilled into my Son, while working in the cabinet shop!

It only takes a split second to cause a lifetime of suffering!

Glad yours wasn't worse, and it isn't the middle finger you usually use!  

Bear

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010
LMAO at Bears comment....not that your injury is funny. Wash your pain pills down with a beer, always worked for me...Quick recovery thoughts are sent your way.

gnubee

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2008
You just never know. I had a similar thing happen but without stitches. I've burnt myself, tripped over stuff, dropped stuff on my foot, broke my toe on a cooler while brewing, yada, yada, yada. And I'm not even clumsy. Be careful out there.
Not clumsy? ha ha burnt, dropped,broke toe , yada yada yada ............ha ha you might want to review the criteria for clumsy.... LMAO

Yep stuff does happen and happens fast when you're least expecting it.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Not clumsy? ha ha burnt, dropped,broke toe , yada yada yada ............ha ha you might want to review the criteria for clumsy.... LMAO

Yep stuff does happen and happens fast when you're least expecting it.
LOL. It has been spread out over 50 years though.

jbg4208

StickBurners
Joined Mar 29, 2007
Did about the same thing with shrink wrap when wrapping a skid at work. Couldn't get it to tear like normal so I tried to just rip it off with my hand and it went right under my thumbnail.... ouch. 

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Yep-your doing something that you've done a dozen times before and ya do it again and end up with an injury.  Couple of weeks ago, I was tossing a couple of splits into the fire box and caught the top of the door frame with the back of my hand. Ended up with a second degree burn just below the knuckles of the right hand. Looks like I'll end up with a 1 1/2 - 2 inch burn scar.

Chicks still dig scars don't they??

samaridad

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 14, 2009
hey dutch ya they love them (might have to change the facts around a little) depend on how many beers you had lol

got it when you broke your handle of life?

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Cecil... glad to hear the doc's got you taken care of! I have tried to filet my fingers on two differant occasions (without success thank god). Hope you have a speedy recovery!

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
Damn dude you made my blood run cold.

Keep the wound  clean and fire up the smoker

cecil

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 24, 2010
Yep-your doing something that you've done a dozen times before and ya do it again and end up with an injury.  Couple of weeks ago, I was tossing a couple of splits into the fire box and caught the top of the door frame with the back of my hand. Ended up with a second degree burn just below the knuckles of the right hand. Looks like I'll end up with a 1 1/2 - 2 inch burn scar.

Chicks still dig scars don't they??
I would have to give a chick the bird to show her my scar. She might not understand.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Originally Posted by Cecil  

I would have to give a chick the bird to show her my scar. She might not understand.
Maybe tell her she's #1 when you show it to her??

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.