Be careful what pics you post...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  I feel the same hewre guys
police2.gif
. If I couldn't cut the Mustard,to say,I wouldn't be here.Besides I have too m any Family saying it's good
drool.gif

40# and all MY work, and more to come in August and Sept. or so.I enjoy being a BYC.
biggrin.gif

618073c0_Betty004.jpg

Here is a summary.

Unless you have specific permission, you can not distribute, copy, publicly display, sell, or otherwise exploit or commercially use someone else's photos.

Photos posted on newsgroups are not yours to use. They are not in the "public domain." In fact, with extremely rare exceptions, no recently-created photo is in the public domain.

The "Fair Use" doctrine almost never excuses infringement of a photograph, particularly where the infringing use is commercial or where it hurts the market for the photo.

Copyright is normally valid with or without a copyright notice.

Copyright infringement is copyright infringement regardless of the infringer's motive.

People who infringe photographs are likely to be crushed in Court, and even have their businesses closed down.

Copyright violation may be treated as a serious crime, as well as a civil wrong.
Absolutely right!!!

I have had some serious issues with a few folks over stealing photos.

And had to take measures to get one jerk to stop.

Thanks flash...it is nice to get some back up on occaision..

Craig

PS...http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/copyright/publicdomain.html     for Biaviian   to ask his corporate lawyers about...

PS...http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/copyright/publicdomain.html     for Biaviian   to ask his corporate lawyers about...

They aren't MY corporate lawyers nor do I want to talk to them ever again.  Any time they get involved it is because they are trying to put a stop to something we are doing.  The last thing I want to do is to start any type of dialog with them.  Again, I'm not saying who is right nor am I taking sides.  I was just presenting information that I have been given by people that deal with it on a daily basis.  However, just because they deal with it daily that doesn't mean that they are right.  If it meant that then we would have nothing but competent professions in every profession!

For all I know they were working off rulings from the 80s or 90s and have failed to update their knowledge based on more current cases/rulings. 

Last edited:
Aside from the legalities of photo stealing, everyone should be aware that any pictures that get posted to the internet, can be stolen. 

And any picture that gets posted should be "clean" enough for all the world to see. 

You never know who can and might look at or steal ANY picture that gets posted.

the original warning was:

[h1]Be careful what pics you post...[/h1]

Aside from the legalities of photo stealing, everyone should be aware that any pictures that get posted to the internet, can be stolen. 

And any picture that gets posted should be "clean" enough for all the world to see. 

You never know who can and might look at or steal ANY picture that gets posted.

the original warning was:

[h1]Be careful what pics you post...[/h1]
Absolutely correct..

It gives me the heebie jeebies sometimes when I see folks posting pics of kids...

Craig

I'm in the same boat.  You never know how that could come back to haunt them now or later in life. 
It's even worse if someone is posting pictures of kids with "know" buildings etc, in the background, like schools and what not, then if there are freaks that see the pix they know where the child can be found.

So please don't "publicly" post any pictures of kids, send them or put them on a secure server that you grant access to only those you want to.

For what purpose do these people steal q-view pics?  I don't get it.  Do they pretend to have cooked your food?
Because their life is not as cool as the pics they steal..

Some steal them to use to promote/advertise themselves or their business.

It doesn't happen here as much as it does elswhere..

My guess is at least one picture on this forum is being used without permission..

Craig

The picture was used to promote a BBQ team.  It would not bother me if they would have just asked for permission.  Also since I have sponsors now I would hate for my sponsors to see their products misrepresented on someones site.  I don't make a lot of money cooking but I make enough to enjoy this hobby without coming out of my pocket.  I have several meetings with potential sponsors coming up and it was one of these potential sponsors that alerted me to the other site. (Imagine that a sponser reserching you before you meet)  If you were going to take the liberty of stealing someones idea at least not be located in the same metro area.   I know we all dream of someday making some sort  of living doing what we love.  I love cooking I love it when people tell you how good your food is.  I love the way pecan smells when it is aged and ready to put in the fire.  I love the Friday night at a comp when my family is sitting around a fire having a great time.  You would not like it if you felt someone was trying to ride your coat tales even if like me your coat tales were microscopic.  If you love what you do you will never work a day in your life.  I may never get there but I am having a blast trying to. 

I do have a question though
confused.gif
 How would I watermark my shots
police2.gif
. I know I'm not a "PRO",but I don't like the idea of someone saying MY hard work is THIERS
devil.gif
;Danged Horse's Rosettas
icon_eek.gif
   I will say that,if I knew who was doing these snatches,I'd be up thier Butt (or my Boys would)in a heartbeat.

The Wife works hard at her Nursing and I only get a small benifit,so what would I want with false advertisements.

I can do for about 200 people,but not delivery,it's P/U at my place when I do any smoking.Neighbors and Friends enjoy my Grindage
439.gif

Hope these Mother Truckers are found!!!
icon_eek.gif

It's a sad day when we can't share our photo's & recipes with each other without worrying that they will be used for the profit of an outsider. Maybe this site should be password protected for members only. If one of our guys won a contest with one of my recipes I would feel honored & happy for him. On the other hand if I saw my Q-view on another site with someone else claiming he cooked it I would be furious.

This thread caught my eye. 

A while back there was something mentioned about the pic deal and kids.

I cant remember the in's and out's of it all but the just of it was. 

The pics were taken with some of the new cell phones, geo tagged and posted on the net. Probably Facebook or such.

The predators could easily look at pics of young children and also have a GPS location of the playground, school, daycare, or even there bedroom, accurate to 3 meters. 

Now thats scary there. 

And now that i think about it, don't the fancy new camera's also have the gps tagging feature?

What a life we live in. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky