BDSkelly ~ Dueling Turkey Breasts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hate to be late but I am going to do turkey breast wed. Can i ask how big they were and how long it took. I made up a rub recipe that i got from chef. I have done chicken breasts and they took about 3 hours. Just trying to get a estimate

I hate to be late but I am going to do turkey breast wed. Can i ask how big they were and how long it took. I made up a rub recipe that i got from chef. I have done chicken breasts and they took about 3 hours. Just trying to get a estimate
Good morning. 

Never too late to ask questions! I don't remember the size. They were average sized breasts.  As I remember They took about 3.5 hours at 250.  However I always cook to internal temperature to be safe.  I smoked these until the IT hit 165.  You won't mess up if you do that.  Good Luck! b

Perfect. Thanks. I plan on doing it to temp but wanted to get a ballpark on the time. The breasts i have are about a pound or so each. I was thinking between 225 and 250. No skin, wife said it is better without it.

Last edited:
Perfect. Thanks. I plan on doing it to temp but wanted to get a ballpark on the time. The breasts i have are about a pound or so each. I was thinking between 225 and 250. No skin, wife said it is better without it.
One pound each?   Thats pretty darn small.  Or maybe they are boneless? Those will take less time. Smoking without the skin may dry those breasts out.  The skin has the fat that keeps the meat moist during the smoking process. You can always remove the skin after you smoke the breasts.  

If you're dead set on smoking without the skin then watch the internal temp closely.  Nail 165 degrees.  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out. B

One pound each?   Thats pretty darn small.  Or maybe they are boneless? Those will take less time. Smoking without the skin may dry those breasts out.  The skin has the fat that keeps the meat moist during the smoking process. You can always remove the skin after you smoke the breasts.  
If you're dead set on smoking without the skin then watch the internal temp closely.  Nail 165 degrees.  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out. B

They are boneless. And yea. I am getting the feeling they might be too small. Might go to the store and look for a piece in the 4 to 5 pound range instead of 3 one pound pieces.

Thanks for the info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky