BDSkelly ~ Chicken and Andouille GUMBO!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bdskelly, Oct 8, 2016.

1. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Summer is officially over and so begins thoughts of what our family considers more fall like cooking. Gumbo is certainly a favorite around the house. 

This recipe is a derivative of one from my good friend Foamheart. In fact it was he who taught me the proper way to make a roux.  (IOHO) Credit is due to Kevin for sure! 

First things first. I was out of bacon fat. So I needed to make some.  I rendered down a diced block of salt pork. Reserved the fat from the pot and that gave me 1/2 cup.

Next I browned 1 pound of Andouille . Big controversy about browning sausage for gumbo or just leaving it be.  I like it brown.

Next one pound of chicken thighs lightly dusted with Tony C and browned. If you have the time, using a whole boiled  or smoked hen is always better IMHO.

And lastly, before we tackle the roux I'll chop up the Trinity. 2 cups white onion, 1 cup celery, 1 cup green bell pepper. And I minced 3 garlic toes. 

Okay. It's Roux time.  There are lots of different roux. They range from the color of white to dark mahogany. The color you should choose typically depends on the meat going in the soup. Example fish would take a lighter roux than sausage, It also depends on your tastes and temperament about continuous nonstop stirring  for long periods of time. And I mean continuous.  Let your roux set for too long in one spot and it WILL burn.  On fleck of burned roux and you'll need to throw it out and start again. 

Safety first!  I am convinced that there is no hotter substance to hit your skin than a splash of roux.  Be cautious. Respect the roux! It will bite.

First take two beers. Do Not put them in the roux! They are refreshments for the poor guy that doing all the stirring. 

Remember that 1/2 cup of fat from the beginning? Pour it in the pot and sprinkle in 3/4 cup of flour over a medium / medium high heat. Cast Iron pot works best. 

Stir Stir Stir  I like using an egg flipper to cover more area.

Keep stirring. Do not stop.  You will see the roux gradually get darker. 

And as you can see here, I am stirring... You get the idea. 

Once my roux reaches the desired color I dump in the 2 cups of chopped onion to cool it off. 

To that I add about 32oz of  cold or room temperature chicken stock, the garlic, bell pepper and celery. 2 FRESH bay leafs. 2 tablespoons Tabasco. 2 tablespoon Worcestershire. 1 teaspoon of Better than Bullion Chicken glop. Pepper to taste. You might need salt. ... but taste it first as the ingredients listed have lots of sodium. 

Simmer for 30 minutes. 

Now add your meat and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Now 
    Fish out those 2 bay leafs you put it.  Fine chop fresh parsley and chop a few green onions to top your gumbo. 

Serve with a good quality white rice and a pinch of file.

Enjoy!

Brian

jwsdad, disco, gary s and 12 others like this.
  2. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

:drool:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  3. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Brian that looks great.

Thumbs Up

Brian

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow. Great post . Yes, that looks great.

5. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Wow that looks awesome B! Very nicely done my friend...Point!

Red

6. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice BD! I could go for a big bowl of that!

7. betaboy

betaboy Meat Mopper

Awesome cook, nice write-up, and excellent Qview!!!

[​IMG]

I've never gotten a roux on me before, but I have heard of it being called "Cajun Napalm" if it does... I can only imagine.

8. bdskelly

LOL  Thanks pal

9. bdskelly

Thanks Brian. Just a little pot of soup. B

10. bdskelly

Thank Adam! B

11. bdskelly

You are too kind my friend. How is that gravity feed smoker working out for you? B

12. bdskelly

You're always welcome to the table pal.  Just a short drive! B

13. bdskelly

It will blister you in a second. Thank you for the point Betaboy! Brian

14. briggy

briggy Smoking Fanatic

One nice soup B!

15. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

I'd love some good home made  gumbo...Nice!

16. smokin jay

smokin jay Smoking Fanatic

Looks and sounds delicious Brian! I like my sausage browned also. This is on my to do list. Thanks B!

17. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Great...thanks for asking brother! Had it full of ribs, tenderloins, bologna and ABTs just last weekend when the in-laws, our sons and their wives were all over (our twin sons' 28th birthday gathering). Mostly I only cook for two, so I don't get it full very often, but its nice to have the space when you need to cook for a crowd.

Red

18. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks amazing good Brian, even us Yankees up here love a good gumbo!

19. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Brian, that looks amazing!

Great thread & step by step!

Point!

Al

20. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great Brian. Excellent post and step-by-step.

Im like you--I like my meat browned beforehand.

POINT!!!

Gary