BBQ Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Ok the bbq sticks all look good so i'm jumpin in with some.

5 lbs worth.

Breaking into my MC bbq seasoning.

Adding 6 Tbs to 1 cup distilled water.
1 level tsp cure 1 in the water
1 Tbs corn starch.....yeah  ;D
e49af807_DSC01399.jpg

Get this all mixed up good and let stand for 15 mins to marryup
9bfd4b2c_DSC01401.jpg

All meat mixed and going in the fridge covered.  No not so the cure will work, Cure will work regardless if you fridge or not. Just not enough time today.
2aa3fe20_DSC01403.jpg

Going with 17mm collagen tomorrow.

Gotta give my other stuffer a go. My LEM 5 has a crack in the O ring...Hate when that happens.

d86d834d_DSC01410.jpg

Good idea with the BBQ seasonings Rick. I had some elk sticks with the Q. What meat did you use? Waiting on the finished product!

Used what i had left of 90/10 GB.

Stuffing with the Weston 7 lb and into 17mm casings.

Ready to start.
e02b5a0f_DSC01420.jpg

Do yourself and the O ring a favor. Crisco the O ring. You wont taste a thing.
fddcc4c2_DSC01423.jpg

Pro of the Weston. It will hold 1 1/4 lb more than my 5lb LEM. I will con the Weston later.
d756cc07_DSC01422.jpg

The small Weston tube will work with the 17mm. Its tight but they do go on.
e43367eb_DSC01424.jpg

Tied ends. I get PMs asking why do i tie the ends and sometimes make tied lengths? Cuz that's what i like to do. Think outside the book.
d4b32ce1_DSC01425.jpg

Here starting to stuff.
e8c59636_DSC01427.jpg

0751541d_DSC01426.jpg

I like to tie the bend that goes over the SS bell.
e08fa2b3_DSC01428.jpg

176e26b7_DSC01429.jpg

All stuffed, now into the 6 rack.
e238a875_DSC01430.jpg

6 Rack with PID starting at 130 ramping to 170 until done.
c0775fbf_DSC01433.jpg

Ok Cons of the Weston

Hate the O ring set up on the piston.
Dont like the handle on the gear spline shaft not being able to secure it
Weston dont make motors for the 7lb...Or they say they dont?
Dont like the large elbow at the bottom of the canister because it leaves meat in there. Dont wanna break out the LEM or shooters for less than 1/4 lb to stuff so i just clean and toss the meat.
1131903f_DSC01434.jpg

I have a question...

Do you find it harder to stuff the sticks after the meat has been mixed and left to sit in the refrig versus stuffing it right away? 

I have a question...

Do you find it harder to stuff the sticks after the meat has been mixed and left to sit in the refrig versus stuffing it right away? 

no

Right way?

My way is the right way.....For me

laugh1.gif

Dont wanna break out the LEM or shooters for less than 1/4 lb to stuff so i just clean and toss the meat.
Don't toss that left over meat nepas, patty it up a put it on the grill for a snack and "taste test"!

Great tutorial for making meat sticks and liked hearing your comparison on stuffers, great thread!

I made a batch of 4 different recipes of SS a couple weeks ago and what I did with that leftover meat got mixed together and stuffed into snack stick casings. I threw that on the rack on top of the hanging sausage in my smoker. It was better than any of the SS recipes individually. My co-workers finished off the bag before I had a chance to get to.

Since I got my stuffer last Christmas, my boys have been after me to make some snack sticks. Looks like you got some great looking callogen casings there Rick.  Care to share your source?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky