BBQ Guru DigiQ worth it on a WSM?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... 
confused.gif

Brisket or butt...

Brisket or butt...

Brisket or butt...

Brisket or butt...

The $20,000 question... 
33.gif

Decision made...

First Guru test smoke is going to be a pork butt... 
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Out of the freezer and into the walk in...

Should be thawed by Tuesday night when I have to go into work... 

Getting closer to being delivered...

In Transit: On Time
San Pablo, CA, United States05/29/20168:46 A.M.Arrival Scan
Horsham, PA, United States05/25/20162:12 A.M.Departure Scan
Horsham, PA, United States05/24/20169:10 P.M.Origin Scan
United States05/24/20162:45 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Why UPS? Why? 
hissyfit.gif

In Transit: On Time

Business 

Day(s) Left 2

[h4]Shipment Progress[/h4]
LocationDateLocal TimeActivity
San Pablo, CA, United States05/29/20168:46 A.M.Arrival Scan
Horsham, PA, United States05/25/20162:12 A.M.Departure Scan
Horsham, PA, United States05/24/20169:10 P.M.Origin Scan
United States05/24/20162:45 P.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

My Guru DigiQ package is still sitting at the UPS facility in San Pablo, CA for past 2 days. Less than 75 miles from my mail service... 
frown.gif

I know yesterday was a holiday and all... 

I have a large pork butt thawing in the walkin at work... 
head-wall.gif

Last edited:
Usually when packages reach the San Pablo facility, they move on to the San Jose facility late at night and deliver same day.

I kind of expected the package to move last night and deliver today. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sure the holiday put the brakes on everything going by FedEx and UPS. Of all things, my USPS deliveries continued through the process and are being delivered today. 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Stuck at work and I receive this UPS update on my DigiQ delivery...

Delivered

...and the Sharks/Pens game at 5...

I'm beginning to feel a tad bit under the weather... 

sick-emoticon-16666999.jpg

Can you say "I'm outta here?
yahoo.gif

Good thing I'm the one that signs the checks... 
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I read this thread a number of times last week and you all convinced me to invest in the DX2.

It arrived in 3 days (the day before yesterday). 

Prepping the house/yard/gardens and garage (adding 2 new windows) before winter storms in and planning a vacation has taken priority for the rest of this month.   

The weather hasn't been to cooperative either.  I'll probably be smoking again next month.

I've been playing with it (before I have to actually use it) to make sure it works.  I turned the temps down into the 70/80s range to get the fan to come on.  All's well.

Weird buttons though.  They're little rubber thimbles (yes, I checked).  DOH! 

Last edited:
So I use my IQ120 on my 22WSM's works great within 10 degrees of what I set it for. Run top vent wide open and the bottom close except the IQ Side... overnite steady as a rock!!!

​Lemans:  I was wondering about the top vent setting.  DigiQ instructions states to set it at about a sliver opening (25% maybe?).

Several readings indicate too much smoke (from a mostly closed top vent) invites a build up of creosote and adds bitterness on the meat.

​Lemans:  I was wondering about the top vent setting.  DigiQ instructions states to set it at about a sliver opening (25% maybe?).

Several readings indicate too much smoke (from a mostly closed top vent) invites a build up of creosote and adds bitterness on the meat.
Top vent open 100%

The Guru will keep the temp stable.

Al

I am installing a BBQGURU on my OKJ Vertical .

Can Anyone advise the placement of the blower on the fire box?

I answered in your other thread.

It should go under the cooking chamber side of the firebox, in the middle, and make sure it's lower than the charcoal grate.

Get it as low as you can in the middle (side to side) of the firebox.

The air has to come in below the fire to work properly.

Al

Reactions: ddrian
Hey all, I just pulled the trigger on a DigiQ myself for my UDS smokers. Anyway, im wondering about power options. Looks like it has to be plugged in to the wall, but are there any other connections or options for power if I wanted to hook it to a battery pack or something?

Im planning to compete in a couple backyard comps this summer, and don't own a generator, nor would I want to buy one just for this. Also the venues do not have power available. Any thoughts on other ways to rig it up to work "off grid"?

I suppose since its a daytime cook, ill probably just be there to man it the whole time anyway, so maybe I needn't use it at all, but just trying to get some options rolling

The Guru only pulls 24 watts.  A 12 V motorcycle battery should work fine.   That's a 2 amp draw.  A 20 amp motorcycle battery would give you theoretically 10 hours of power.   A car battery typically has 48 amps, that's 24 hours of power.  There is some drawdown for the inverter too. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky