BBQ Equipment Must Haves?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Geebs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
Olathe, Kansas
Hey All,

I am starting to really get into the smoking scene and want to see what some of your "must have" items are when you BBQ. Items that just make cooking/smoking a little simpler and easier, whether that be from prep, cooking, finishing, and cleaning. I know from reading many posts that a 12 pack of PBR is on top of most your lists, dont worry I have this part covered.

Right now I cook on my new Woodwind and have been smoking on my WSM for about 4 years. So far I just have a few basic items: 12"-18" Oval A-Mazw-N Tube, just purchased a thermapop thermometer, Thermopro dual prob thermometer, grill gloves, meat claws, and have an IQ blower for the WSM.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Cheers.

Looks like you got a pretty good start there.

PBR of course is a must! You got the AMNTS, a couple nice thermometers, and the meat claws.

I would suggest getting on amazon and buying a 40 pack of disposable aluminum pans. Way cheaper than going to the grocery store and buying them and way easier than cleaning a bunch of casserole dishes.

And also a vacuum sealer if you don't have one. Makes life a whole lot easier for freezing and storing things. I bought an open box one off amazon for like $35. Well worth the investment.

As long as you always keep a good supply of wood/pellets, spices, aluminum foil, and a freezer full of meat then you should be good to go!

Happy Smokin!

I'm am MES40 owner and here are my items:
  • AMNPS with mailbox mod - external set and forget smoke generation for hours and hours!
  • Silicon Mats - keeps items from falling between smoke rack bars, makes cleaning simple, keeps meat from sticking
  • 12" x 18" Basket and Tray used with mats - basket has handles and is a perfect fit for MES40 and I can add and remove my meat/items all in one shot by just wearing regular oven mittens!!!! (This is my new favorite accessory)
  • Wireless Multi Probe Thermometer - I use a ThermoPro TP20 on tope of my other stuff
  • HeaterMeter PID Controller - 4 probes, wifi, computer and mobile device accessible, dashboard with live temp probe graphs, can save/archive the graph and cook information, a billion more features!

Other accessories I like:
  • Dual Chicken Vertical Roasting Rack - a roasting rack that has 2 sets of prongs that can fold up to place 1 or 2 chickens onto and will have the chickens sit upwards for vertical roasting. Prongs also fold down to make a regular roasting rack
    roaster2.jpg

• Expandable Rib Rack - This thing expand and you can do vertical rib smoking with little issue where other supposed rib racks actually suck. 1 smoke with this thing and it was leaps and bounds better than my V-shaped rack

Tallbm, any brand or tray with basket you would recommend? Thanks for the other recommendations as well. I was looking at the grilling mats but afraid that they wouldnt get all that smoke flavor from the grill if I used them.

By far the greatest single item I have that ups my smoking game is the AMNTS.That and a good quality instant read thermometer.

The number one thing you can have is something you can't buy, patience. Then again if you drink enough of the PBR's that might do it. Other than that I would say a good thermometer for the smoker (can even use an oven thermometer in the chamber) and a good digital thermometer for the meat.

By far the greatest single item I have that ups my smoking game is the AMNTS.That and a good quality instant read thermometer.

I just got one of the expandable ones, tried it out on my last brikset and with some wings. So far I really like it and havent had any trouble with it burning the pellets.

Geebs,
Don't know if you missed this, but don't forget a Digital Camera so you can post the Q-View for the rest of us!!
And a Notebook to record what you did each time & if it worked good or if it needs improvements.

Bear

Oh, of course!

I don't know, maybe it's the teacher in me but I HATE ACRONYMS!

I realize that sometimes they are necessary (the most popular ones) but is it that difficult for people to write out what they actually mean? No offense anyone! LOL

WASWOC,

John

PBR has been around since the 1840's. It was extremely popular for a long long time. Then kinda died out in the 1980's and 1990's. It has since seen an uptick and is fast becoming a favorite on college campuses and of course us old timers.

As for Q gadget's I really only use the amnps trey for cold smoking. Everything else can be found in a lay persons kitchen. Except maybe my basic Maverick single probe therm.

Chris

PBR has been around since the 1840's. It was extremely popular for a long long time. Then kinda died out in the 1980's and 1990's. It has since seen an uptick and is fast becoming a favorite on college campuses and of course us old timers.

Chris

For years I have liked Schlitz (the beer that made Milwaukee famous) in 16 oz cans. But for some reason the biggest supplier of beer to all the bars and beer distributors here in Pittsburgh decided to stop distributing it.

OD,

John

Geebs,
Don't know if you missed this, but don't forget a Digital Camera so you can post the Q-View for the rest of us!!
And a Notebook to record what you did each time & if it worked good or if it needs improvements.

Bear

Got the camera covered. Here is a pic of my brisket this weekend. Thinking of buying a knockoff go pro to maybe start doing some fun little videos.
44E066A8-7C42-4DA3-95BF-9871E28EA36B.jpeg

For years I have liked Schlitz (the beer that made Milwaukee famous) in 16 oz cans. But for some reason the biggest supplier of beer to all the bars and beer distributors here in Pittsburgh decided to stop distributing it.

OD,

John

LOL---Schlitz was my favorite in Vietnam.
Our 4 choices were Schlitz, Bud, Black Label, and Falstaff.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw

OD,

John

Ah Shitz, I forgot about that beer. I thought Old Milwaukee was the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Found times of sitting on the toilet the next day. Funny how you didn't need much toilet paper after.

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
WOW! That is some great looking grub!

John

Could have been so much better but that think line of fat through the middle really threw my cooking off. I think I pulled it off way to early as I am pretty sure my probes kept going into the fat and not the meat.

I'm completely satisfied with those pic's and the brisket. You definitely have it covered.

Chirs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky