basic question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I made jerky a few years ago but would like a little help because I have a different smoker now. I have a WSM 18. What is the best temp to make the jerky and how long? Water pan or sand for a heat sink? Quarter inch strips? I don't marinate because I just like the smoke flavor. I have used different woods for smoking but I like mesquite or hickory for jerky.

All help and advice and appreciated, Pete

Best if you can keep temps around 130-140° for a couple hrs and then bump it up slowly to 150 - 160°. Just did some ground deer the other day, some was done at 4 1/2 hrs the last was at 7hrs in MES 40 . was 40° and a bit damp with rain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky