Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, First off, love the post.  Ive used it 3 times now, and every time it turns out great.  I'm currently working on a 4th time.  I am about 3 hours in and my thermometer says the meats already at 165 IT.  I dont recall the last few getting to that IT so quickly.  Am i doing something wrong?  Have a MES 30, set at 245.  Cooking a 9# butt.

OK, First off, love the post.  Ive used it 3 times now, and every time it turns out great.  I'm currently working on a 4th time.  I am about 3 hours in and my thermometer says the meats already at 165 IT.  I dont recall the last few getting to that IT so quickly.  Am i doing something wrong?  Have a MES 30, set at 245.  Cooking a 9# butt.
Once in awhile one will go fast and your thinking that just can't be right, if you've checked your thermometer in boiling water and know it's right check the butt in a couple places so you know your not in a fat pocket. If it reads 165 then it's 165

Just checked the thermometer, apparently it's off by about 25 degrees.  I pulled out the backup and its saying its at about 138 IT.  I guess I'm OK with that.  Makes a bit more sense I suppose.  Thank you for the quick reply Pineywoods.  Not sure why I didn't think to check the accuracy of the thermometer.

I've got a nice bone in 6-7 pounder along with some ribs and a couple small corned beef briskets going in this weekend and will definitely use this method.  Gotta pick up a new meat thermometer mine crapped out on me last time.  Thanks!

I love the feed back and comments in this forum - really helps me understand how to smoke meat for pleasure and great taste.  It really is an art and I am now an artful retiree - YES  Thanks everyone.

Just bought my first smoker last week (MES Pro 30) and smoked a boston butt this weekend using the instructions in this thread and it came out awesome!!  My family was amazed as how juicy and flavorful it was.  I bought and used Jeff's rub recipe to start with.  It took a little longer than the 1.5 hrs per pound average (13.5 hours for 8#) but I waited until the IT hit 200.  I didn't get a chance to make Jeff's sauce but will definitely be trying that when I do ribs next weekend.  The only thing I am disappointed about is that I waited so long to take the plunge!!!  Thanks to everyone on the site for contributing, you've made my family very happy!

Here's a pic of it after I let if rest in the cooler for ~1.5 hours.

View media item 423358

Reactions: miamited
Meowwww.....
I did so much research when I bought an MES last week. I did a pulled pork butt for Labor Day. All advise was read, re-read and then read again!
My pork turned out FABULOUS!!!! I did not wrap it at the stall point, I just let it be to make that bark really good. I wrapped when I pulled it off in heavy foil, twice, then a heavy towel and dropped it in a cooler with more towels for a couple hours.

Like you, I pulled it by hand and it was very easy to do. Yes, it was still hot but I wore double rubber hair color gloves and they worked just fine.

I think I love this site! Everyone has been helpful and kind! Special thanks to Member Harley for his help!!
:yahoo:

Ruthie

You wanna try a great trick for pulling the pork when it is hot? Take your electric cake mixer and put it in a bowl with the meat and let it rip.. Instant pulled pork!!!! Works with chicken also....

I'm a total newbee to smoking and I have tried this method/recipe twice now.  Absolutely awesome!  I am totally hooked now!  Thanks so much for sharing. 

I use Bradley rack and water pan with pork butts. End of smoker, bout 225-250...4-5 hours..wife makes a killer injection sauce and a double killer bbq sauce. never had a return yet. Corse they most my friends...might make a reference....

Hey gang. I recently bought a Traeger Junior Elite recently and am gearing up for my first pork shoulder/pulled pork this coming weekend. I've been reading as much as I can and wanted to chime in and say thanks for the collective information here.

My plan is:

- Rub Friday and wrap/put in fridge

- Set temp on smoker to 225

- Plan on leaving the shoulder on for as long as it needs (it's about 6 lbs so I plan on somewhere in the 9 hour range, but will go by temp)

- I will put it directly on grill and then move it to a foil tray when internal temp hits 160/165 and wrap the top with foil

- I will be patient if the temp stalls :)

I do have a few minor questions if you don't mind:

1) Does it matter if I put the temp probe in at the start or wait until 4 hours or so in to put it in? (Will it "spill" more juice or not seal as well if I put it in later?)

2) I don't plan on spraying it with anything this time as I want to set a baseline for taste/bark. When I foil it, do I need to add anything to the foil tray for braising/steaming? Or is this just personal preference for taste? I want to capture any juices at that point for mixing back in once it is pulled.

One way or another I will:

1) End up with pulled pork

2) Learn from the experience

Did I miss anything major?

Thanks!

Success!

c71f4935a85c40faf133ba4ed4c94a60.jpg

711b19168edb55953ebb5de7d21ef384.jpg

14e10ba11ea63d43950a9384adef4dd4.jpg

Washed down with some homebrew!

I've prepared pulled pork many times but still come back to this post for great reminders. 

My daughter is home from college for the long weekend and she asked me last night if I had any pulled pork for her to take back to school. Well how could I say no to that?  I went to store and they had pork butts on sales so I picked up one got it ready to go. I put it on around 8:00 this morning with some Famous Dave's pork rub with a little added seasoning.  The smoker is rolling with some apple and hickory.  I will spritz it with apple juice throughout. 

View media item 428893
View media item 428894

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky