• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Basic BBQ Rub - Used on ribs, chops, pork, chicken

reardenreturns

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 1, 2011
This is a rub I developed. Again, nothing special, but it's damn tasty. Might be a little sweet for Texas tastes, but I like experimenting.

Basic BBQ Rub
1/4 c kosher flake salt
1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c smoked paprika
3 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed

The celery seed here brings in some great flavors. Adjust cayenne to your desired spicy-ness level. ENJOY! :nana2:

reardenreturns

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 1, 2011
[quote name="cliffcarter" url="/forum/thread/104042/basic-bbq-rub-used-on-ribs-chops-pork-chicken#post_601472"]
Looks like a Steve Raichlen recipe-

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/basic-barbecue-rub-74181/
[/quote]

Exactly... i just cut down on the cayenne cause it was a bit too spicy for me an not quite as sweet as I'd like. Got the start from one of his books.

Last edited:

jjwdiver

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 5, 2010
There are no original recipes - only variations of existing variations!  I will give this one a try, sounds like a good alternative.

When going into the battle of the palate - better to be well equipped than only bringing 1 bullet!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Sounds pretty good. I like the ingredients. May have to mix up a batch. Thanks Anthony

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
Reardon,try dropping the Celery and try ground Cloves , in moderation, a neat little change of pace

Have fun and always,

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.