barrel Stove Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokein'rabbits

Original poster
Dec 25, 2020
I have a 55-gallon drum for a heat source and piped into a 3 x 3 x 3 smoke box. I have the door, one of the stove kits, wide open because I think I need more air intake. I'm burning ash and oak to get up to temperature but it seems like it takes a lot of wood to keep it there. Plus the wood burns up really fast. I'm thinking about cutting a couple of 2-3" holes in the front and installing a disk to work as a damper. Any thoughts or just does it take a lot of wood?

I would definitely cut some holes to regulate your air intake , how big is your chimney on your smoker , are you running that open to create more draft.

smokerjim I didn't have a chimney. Installed one this afternoon, about a foot above the flat roof, and in 30 minutes it is up to 215. It barely hit 215 all day yesterday. I also am able to leave the door ajar about an inch. That you for your response and help.

smokerjim I didn't have a chimney. Installed one this afternoon, about a foot above the flat roof, and in 30 minutes it is up to 215. It barely hit 215 all day yesterday. I also am able to leave the door ajar about an inch. That you for your response and help.
your welcome, glad ya got it working. if it seems it still not heating up enough just extend your chimney higher for more draft.

Jck Danls 07 Pipe from the heat source to the smokebox is 6" stove pipe. It is mounted at the far end of the barrel. Thinking I might get more heat if I moved it closer to the actual fire area?

Pictures would be awesome... would let us see what ya got going and able to help better... Thinking if possible to get the pipe coming out of the top of the heat source since all the heat is at the top ...

Reactions: smokerjim
Jck Danls 07 This is my set up. It's just temporary until I can build a permanent one this spring. Plus I wanted to try it before I invested a lot. This is made from all free recycled materials, except for the stove kit, pipe, and thermometers.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 19
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky