bark??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slater

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Update w/ pics of the cook...
Im smoking my 2nd butt.
At 160 I wrapped in foil instead of butcher paper this time around & sitting at 175 at the moment.
Curious if some folks or is it normal practice for some to unwrap again & trying to build-up the bark again & re-wrap & rest?
Is this practiced ofter or is it wrap or dont wrap....
Thx for the insight.
Heres a pic at 160 before wrapping
UPDATE:
I did vent the foil for a bit after I realized the center wasnt butter to help with the bark, as mentioned got dark super quick & was worried I roached it....
Pit temp was ballpark 300 when I opened the foil & went back 15-20 minutes later & the bark looked black to me, I panicked & decided we were pulling it with hopes of wrapping it will mellow things out.
I used Sholtz temp guidelines in his newbie recipe & also injected the butt using a modified Chiles apple butter injection recipe adding some boars night out white lightning double garlic butter seasoning & onion powder. Not sure if I really taste any difference due to the injection but no doubt it was moist! Also spritzed every hour w/ apple juice. Tossed in some seasoning after the meat was pulled to add some saltiness / additional flavor....
Very happy with the outcome, shredded completely & zero tough pieces that I needed to work at...
The inkbird ibbq-4t has been working flawlessly & supervising from my sofa using my iphone has been a bonus....
IMG_1036.jpeg
IMG_1039.png
IMG_1041.jpeg
IMG_1042.jpeg
IMG_1043.jpeg

Last edited:
That color looks fabulous to me. I'm not into the super heavy bark on butts or brisket.... and I like the bark after the wrap because it's tender and flavorful, and it only takes 10 or 15 minutes for it to re-set if you do want to vent the foil and return to the cooker. Another option is to gently shred your butt into a foil pan with some of the soft bark, and return the pan to the smoker, then drizzle with the foil drippings.

BSu8c.jpg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
thx guys, its sitting at 203 now, butter probe on both sides & some resistance in the middle. I vented the foil to probe various areas. Will let it go a bit longer, close her back-up & rest. Would imagine it doesnt matter if its resting in all the liquids?

Hi there and welcome! It's all preference.

If I wrap in foil I never wrap anything until it is at an IT of 180F or higher. A better product is made that way to me. I normally let it all ride naked as I like the flavor better. I'm not like some super bark lover of a guy but I am a "flavor" guy so I do what is best for flavor and depending on the cut of meat.

I do whole briskets, ribs, and pork butt/shoulders unwrapped the entire time. I wrap chuck roasts at like 180F and if I ever did just a brisket flat I would wrap at 180F as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky