Bark thickness on ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Chicago - south Burbs
how much bark do people like on there ribs? as i get better at ribs, i find more little things to worry about.

my previous process wash lay down my rib rub sans Sugar. then add brown sugar over the ribs. the bark comes out pretty thick. but there is no repeatable measuring done. it what ever i can spread out. and probably more sugar than i think.

but do to inconsistent flavor profiles from rack to rack, i now run all my spices thought the spice grinder/coffee grinder in my other thread about coffee and ribs, i added the sugar in the rub and ran it though a spice grinder and shaken well.

the taste was more consistent, i definitely used less sugar but the the bark was thin. not bad tasting but just looking to see what most people like as far as how much bark they need to bite through.

should it be clean and easy? or a real Bite through it?

Usually when I do Ribs I have to fix them different ways. My #2 son and grandson like dry and spicy, my wife #1 son, other grandson and granddaughter like wet and sweet, I like a little wet, sweet and spicy so I end up fixing ribs 3 different ways. I just learned to cook what everybody likes. Really not any more trouble and everybody is happy happy. I have been BBQing for over 35 years so I have had a lot of time to get it right.

Gary

I really never pay attention to the bark on the ribs.  What I go after is the tenderness and the melt in your mouth...OMGoodness I am eating good ribs....

I have used the mustard thing on mine...and I hated it.  Was too wet and icky for me.  I prefer more of a dry rib.  Don't really want sauce either.  Good bbq doesn't need sauce.

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky