bark or no bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cleanbbqdave

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 3, 2021
Hey
I have wood that has fungus and maybe some mold.
I'm curious can just take the fungus off usually by taking bark off? or is the wood itself the problem?
Any help appreciated.
Im in NJ and cant seem to find normal wood supplier.

Hey
I'm curious can just take the fungus off usually by taking bark off? or is the wood itself the problem?
Any help appreciated.
Where in NJ? I'm on a hunt for a supplier as well for both cooking & Fire pit wood

Hey
Any help appreciated.
It depends on where in Jersey you are, but I’ve been using the Woodman in the Bronx. It’s a hike even for me in Brooklyn, but they’re the only reliable source I’ve been able to find around these parts for great cured cooking wood. It’s all kiln dried. I know there are different opinions on that vs naturally cured but I’ve been happy with it. I buy a lot of oak from them. I asked the guys from Hometown BBQ (the best bbq in NY in my opinion) and they use the same source. You might wanna call or email them first: thewoodman.com

Also, I’m having a similar fungus issue with some oak I was letting cure in my backyard (not from the source mentioned above). Not sure if I just didn’t cover it well enough from the rain or what. Some of the logs even have mushrooms growing off of them. Might try the same and peel bark off and see how it looks.

Make sure you have plenty of airflow to and through the wood.
Another source for wood is a tree service company, They typically have to haul off the trees they trim and take down. In the southeast there are always people on craigslist giving wood away when they take trees down or from storms taking trees down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky