Bark or no bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petty731

Original poster
Jul 18, 2020
I am fairly new to the smoking world. Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on smoking with wood. I know i have used oak in the past and left the bark on one time and it made for an interesting eat found out later that bark left on the wood can be dangerous or so ive been told. I smoked some meat a while back using wild cherry wood and it has a real thin bark was wondering is it ok to leave the bark on ? If it is ok which wood can you leave it on and which one do you need to remove it on. Thanks for any help ...

Reactions: kruizer
I cook with and without bark on oak just depends on which piece I grab. Smaller rounds I don’t split at all.

Like Flatbroke I burn some with and some without bark. Most of the time after seasoning the wood the bark will about fall off or will fall off depending on the variety of wood and if it was split before seasoning/drying

Welcome to our place. Never know anybody to get sick from it, I have never torn the bark off to use just the wood, that said shag bark off a hickory will give you the best tasting grilled food you have ever eaten

Same here, I cook with and without bark on. Just depends on the piece. Never have I tried to take it off, and with cherry almost 100% of the time it has bark on.

I'd rather not have bark because it seems to take a little longer to get burning right, but I don't stress it. Never heard of a health issue...

Welcome to the forum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky