Bark for a Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rudy92

Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
I don't ever seem to get any good "bark" on my butt when I smoke. I have a MES Sportsman Elite. Could it be the something with the position of the vent?

Have wrapped and not wrapped.
Usually 220 until temp hits 190. Sometimes wrap, some not. I have mopped and not mopped. times vary from 8-16 hours. I never get the almost black bark. Very rarely do I get a great "crust" all over the meat. I just wonder if since it's electric vs charcoal or wood if the vent is closed too much or maybe too much?
Just looking for some tips towards the end of the cook maybe?

There is no substitute for wood when it comes to good bark. You can still achieve it, but wood (IMO) gives you the best bark you can get.

Reactions: fivetricks
Had the same problem for a long time. Search pellicle. For a butt, apply your rub the night before and leave in the fridge uncovered. The surface will dry a bit and get tacky. Once I got good bark, my family went crazy over my PP. I ended up doing 50lbs for daughters grad party. I run 275F until 205ish. Comes off the smoker in chunks. Welcome to SMF and best of luck!

I do 250 as a general rule, and I usually rub the night before and refrigerate uncovered. More sugar in your rub means more carmelization and more color, but I haven’t had much of a problem, even with no sugar.

I don’t generally mop butts because every time I open the door, I’m not at optimum temperature.

curious if you have a remote thermometer in the smoker to monitor cooking chamber temps, or relying on the factory therm. Almost sounds like the cook temps could be too low to form a good bark.

Reactions: dr k and indaswamp
check your thermometers...if not using a digital-get one.
Salt the night before..this lets the salt start penetrating the meat and traveling inward which will help keep the butt moist. And, the salt will open up the meat close to the surface for smoke to stick.
Get the meat surface tacky-form a pellicle
Use sugar in your rub. the sugar will glaze to meat surface as it melts and will caramelize with the heat giving you a dark butt.

Thanks for the info. I will try this weekend and see if it helps!!

I do ribs, butts and briskets at 275 in my Mes no wrap.
20180813_185422.jpg
20180710_175640.jpg 20180519_200903.jpg uh 20181011_044350.jpg

A good heavy rub gives me a nice bark on my butts.

I use a concoction called butt rub when i am too lazy to make my own.

225 overnight until the internal temp is 200.

My experience is the masterbuilt controller just doesn't hold a steady temp. That is why i installed a pid controller

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky