Barbacoa (lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nole4L

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
I've been trying to find a good way to cook barbacoa and think I finally found one. It took trips to a few different stores (the chiles weren't easy to find) but it was worth it. I got the recipe from https://meatwave.com/blog/smoked-and-braised-mexican-beef-barbacoa-recipe.

This calls for 7 pounds of chuck roast as well as a pound of oxtail. The basic approach is you smoke the chuck roasts then braise them for the finished product
b1.JPG
Started off with two 3 pound chuck roasts. I used the rub they suggested in the recipe.

b2.JPG

Into the smoker around 10.

b3.JPG

I was only supposed to leave them in the smoker for 3 hours but that ended up as 4 hours.

b5.JPG

Meanwhile we start the sauce for braising. It has ancho chilies and guajillo chiles. I had a hard time finding these in grocery stores but ended up finding them in ample supply in a Latin grocery. I had to buy a "family pack" of each so I'll be making guajillo salsa in the near future.

b6.JPG

Searing the oxtails to add some nice flavor for the onions and garlic.

b7.JPG

Next up....onions and garlic.

b8.JPG

The rest of the ingredients for the braising sauce.

b9.JPG

Then into the blender with the soaked chiles.

b10.JPG

Finally the chuck roasts and the oxtails go into the dutch oven with sauce to braise for 3 hours.

b11.JPG

I made flour tortillas to go with it. They're surprisingly simple and MUCH better than the store bought. It's a little labor intensive but this is a good way to cook up a good batch of barbacoa. With football ready to start this one will be a staple.

I love Barbacoa... and yours looks great. Check out my signature for my version, similar but different than yours. I’ll try your recipe for my next Barbacoa.
Dave

I love Barbacoa... and yours looks great. Check out my signature for my version, similar but different than yours. I’ll try your recipe for my next Barbacoa.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I'd love to have it in fried tortillas but don't have a fryer. I like the look of yours. May give that a try next time.

Looks great to me, very nice cook.
A tasty looking plate of food ya have there.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well, and most times that takes some work.
Agreed. I sent it to someone who works in group who said "too much work". For me it's a great excuse to spend a day playing around and (in the very near future) watching football all day.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky